Author Topic: River Village  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Reggae

• Make peace not war :)
  • Class: Ranger
River Village
« on: February 05, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »
Hello IG , This is a open map with a little closed Village in the middle of the Map. Hope you like it :)

Overview

Spawn 1

Spawn 2

Flag 1

Flag 2

Flag 3

Terraincode :
Code: [Select]
scn_multi_scene_custom_15 multi_scene_custom_15 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000001300389800003a4ea000058340000637a0000399b
 outer_terrain_plain

Downloadlink :

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10258160/scn_multi_scene_custom_15.sco.html

Offline Oliveran

• Class: Infantry
Re: River Village
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »
Hey! Thanks for submitting your map :)

I just took a look, and generally it looks okay. Only problem I feel like is that infantry has nowhere to go - a hundred highground position for archers, the river etc., and the town won't help infantry in any way since cav can just come and go so quickly it's hard to manage in public (imagine 12 cav running through there, everything will be decimated inside!).

I'll upload it and give it a try on the map-rotation, and if it plays out well, then we'll keep it! Otherwise I'll come back and suggest some changes. ;)

Please teach me how to block :c

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »
Hello again!

The map has some flaws which makes it unsuitable for a server with as many players as IG_Battlegrounds. There's VERY long open distances, where there's no in-between cover for any class. Archers has high-ground, fences and hills, cavalries got huuuge open spaces to move on, and infantry got nothing. Any archer who wants to move around will die, any cav who tries to move too far out will die, playing infantry is a pretty close suicide, unless people walk into the city (which btw, is very hard to maneuver and reach archers on as other classes - I can't jump on from the stonebridge, but I can jump down etc.).

If you could re-size the map to make it smaller, and maybe make the middle-area bigger? Just suggestions from me, but for now it's off the server. If you update it, post here again (with the new map-file) and I'll take another look, and maybe try it on IG_Battlegrounds again.

Thanks
~Oliv

Offline Reggae

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »
Hey again,

I added some new Places in the middle-area and fixed the Bridge. Inf has now more opionons and some places for hiding. Im not sure about what you means with "make it smaller" I think its okay for a open map but its just my opinion:) And thanks for the suggestions I was only thinking about competive play.

Here's the new File :

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10325177/scn_multi_scene_custom_15.sco.html

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 02:40:51 PM »
The problem is the layout of the map. It's kind-of like a circle, so any amount of players could camp as archers on any of the fences, hills or such. Especially just outside the Village to the right, there's a big amount of rocks, a hill close-by, water and let's not forget, a fence! Positions like this where you can shoot most of the map, and still be in great cover, makes it unbelievably hard in public. The size of the map's either too big for its layout, or you need to add path where there's room to move on OUTSIDE the Village, without being slamdunked by 15 cavs and 11 archers (Imagine 50 players in public - either side can reach a max of 15 cav, 11 archers on IG_BG, the rest 3 will be inf), so any moving archers or infs will be fodder. If you look at, say, Frosty Battle, you can still move between houses, and even though there's areas that are open that you HAVE to move through, you can still do it and get into a position where cav has a hard(er) time killing you.

The problem's not how it will fair in competitive, but in public! We do have a semi-competitive server, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't think about that we're also semi-public.

Also, you can jump up on the roof of the church, I'd suggest blocking it.

Offline Jony.D.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »
Imagine, for just a minute, like, really quick, that instead of worrying about how to make a map suitable for everyone, every class, in every situation, that you give them some actual challenge? Like, there's a 30m walk between you and cover, but the cav can pick you up while you try to get there, well, get a pike and show some fighting, instead of hiding in cover all the time!
Okay that was my little rant, anyway, the maps looks really great, I was waiting for something like this for a long time now  :thumbup:

Offline Turambar

• Class: Cavalry
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
Imagine, for just a minute, like, really quick, that instead of worrying about how to make a map suitable for everyone, every class, in every situation, that you give them some actual challenge? Like, there's a 30m walk between you and cover, but the cav can pick you up while you try to get there, well, get a pike and show some fighting, instead of hiding in cover all the time!
Okay that was my little rant, anyway, the maps looks really great, I was waiting for something like this for a long time now  :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Reggae

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 04:38:03 PM »

+1 and thank you :)

I'll add some screens for you of my new version with a little more Spots at the mid :) Hope it fits now for Public play :bag:  :thumbup:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10396975/scn_multi_scene_custom_15.sco.html

« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:47:37 PM by Reggae »

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 02:06:20 PM »
The issue is that we have a majority of archer-cav maps, not that it's a map that's better for cav and archers. Hence why it's hard to just put it in like that, since we'll just get too much non-infantry maps :)

I can temporarily add it to our server and see what people think, but that'll be after Nations Cup - in two weeks.

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:22:47 AM »
I'll add it to our server and let it play out for a while.

Offline Reggae

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 09:39:05 PM »
Thank you for testing my map :)!

Offline Noxx

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »
Definitely besides Reveran Village my favorite (semi-)open map, really enjoying it. <3

Offline Reggae

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
I updated the map and fixed some glitches.

-Added a wall behind the Church (Mapborders are so annoying)
-Placed barriers on the woodheap
-Fixed the bridge near Spawn 1
-Fixed some texture bugs

New DL :

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10431378/scn_multi_custom_adimi_tool_scene_96.sco.html