Author Topic: Desolation Valley [currently on the server]  (Read 9951 times)

Offline AZAN

Re: Desolation Valley [currently on the server]
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »
Well I have been taking the criticism on board and I am going to make some changes. I have to say though most of it has been pretty non-constructive and useless (not aimed at people who have genuinely suggested improvements!).

Posting pictures of people camping somewhere and saying 'MAP BAD!!!'... I mean people camp on every single map in the game. You get it to far worse degrees on other maps as well, FBTR ruins camp, teams camping on Ruins on the hill etc... It isn't possible to make a map where people don't do it, its a player thing, not a map thing, you could make a map which is literally nothing but a box with 4 walls and people would still run to a corner and do it. I don't think the rocks that people keep showing are some invincible fortress, it's a few rocks in a relatively open field surrounded by plenty of places the other team can set up crossfires from and move in from.

Rant over--

----------------------

Onto the map, I recognise it's harder for rangers on the map than what they're used to. The reason for that is that none of the cover available gives both excellent protection against cavalry (i.e. the cav can literally do nothing to you) and also excellent map vision. I don't think total protection and total map vision is something that is needed for the rangers we have today, the skill level is much too high and people can headshot at ridiculous ranges. As such all the cover gives less of one of those qualities.

The main thing I will be focusing on as part of the changes will be helping infantry, since I don't think the corridors of cover I set up are really good enough for them. I'm going to be adding a number of small steeper slopes which won't significantly effect what rangers can see or give cover, but will more heavily disrupt the cavalry and give infantry a better fighting chance in such areas. This will help the rangers to some degree as well as they will be able to move out better.

I will not be adding larger elements of cover for the rangers though, the situation on other maps such as frosty, ruins and FBTR is pretty grim when it comes to camping on hills and ruins and I think that's much worse than the cav usage seen on DV.

In the end though it's an open map and is always going to favour cavalry, as closed favours infantry.

Offline Oliveran

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »
The problem isn't the cover, it's the spawns (IMO). If both sides has a place "to go" before being ran over by a gazzilion (or in this case, ~16) cav, it'd work out. Right now it's just too much... Well, too much open space of nothingness. From experience I know that if there's "zones" I can go in between (Frosty Battle has the Ruins, the barrelhouse, the twinhouses, the windmill) where I get OK cover from either cav or archers, or both, makes me see a "point" of the point. Or zones, where I can go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4. Never stop moving.

Here I might as well just stay at spawn at the Village as a non-cav. I regard myself as quite a good anti-cav player, but yet I get ran over here harder than on Ruins by far :( Rather than fixing the slopes, maybe add some *covers* (the Windmill on Frosty is a great example of a *cover*, which doesn't really cover but keeps cav away since you're tightly knit between the wall at it and the stone, makes for a good little cover) where you can go from place to place to.

Please teach me how to block :c

Offline AZAN

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »
Here's the updated version:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jsbw4hhz6bhzkrz/scn_multi_scene_wnl_desolation_valley.sco

Spoiler

It should offer a lot more resistance against cav and make it a bit trickier for cav to move around.

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »
New version approved by me! Gonna test it soon with the other IG's :)

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2014, 04:15:21 AM »
Sorry if we're taking some time, christmas and other jazzy stuff. Will come back with a response asap.

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »
Great fix, approved during our map-testing session.

We'll try and upload it as soon as possible - please be a bit patient, since it's christmas and all. :)

Offline Pendragon

• Class: None
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »
Looks better than old one  :thumbup: But cavs don't like that much trees and mounds(I mean bumps)

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »
Looks better than old one  :thumbup: But cavs don't like that much trees and mounds(I mean bumps)

Infs and archer do. And still, 2-3 cav can easily murder any non-mount unit, so no worries.

Offline Chaingun

• Archers were evil already in the 15th century.
  • Class: Cavalry
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 08:32:07 PM »
Map is a lot of fun now  :thumbup:, good improvement
Ignore the fact my Steam profile is an email address - I haven't used the address for years.

Offline Firunien

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 01:36:34 PM »
I love the design of the slopes u added afterwards, but i still hate this map on pub while loving it in matches  :thumbup: