Author Topic: Desolation Valley [currently on the server]  (Read 10123 times)

Offline AZAN

Desolation Valley [currently on the server]
« on: May 01, 2014, 01:01:21 PM »
Hello again, I have another new map up for the offering.

It's another open map and I have tried to use everything I have learned about what works, the map is divided using several line of sight blocking divisions so that the map is split up into several zones. There is hopefully enough cover everywhere and I have avoided the type of cover which makes rangers too inaccessible, such as steep slopes or elevated buildings.

Overview

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jsbw4hhz6bhzkrz/scn_multi_scene_wnl_desolation_valley.sco

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m1wzmq6bcnw9qrr/scn_multi_scene_custom_15.sco

http://www.mediafire.com/download/09b0k1skkuh80qu/scn_multi_scene_custom_15.sco

Scene Info:
Code: [Select]
scn_multi_scene_custom_15 multi_scene_custom_15 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000000300005000004b52d0000764a0000194e00005ce3
 outer_terrain_plain

Pics

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:13:29 PM by AZAN »

Offline SpheRe

• Class: None
Re: New Map: Desolation Valley
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »
Looks pretty well on the first view. I like the way you made this open map pretty attractive for archer and infantry, by adding tons of trees, houses, ruins etc.
I predict people going straight forward to this large ruins area, but I'm sure it will be fun to play it this way tho.
In my opinion this map even fulfils the requirements of a competitive map, and I'm looking forward to play on it :)

Well done AZAN!!!

Offline ReneKB

• Forum Moderator
  • Consultant
  • Class: Cavalry
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 01:48:54 PM »
Hey AZAN,

thanks for your submission. We'll test your map and give you response in the next time as soon as possible. 

Offline Dasvi

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:49:19 PM »
Holy mother of crossfires!

Offline AZAN

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
Hey, just wondering if you have had a chance to test yet? I have a new closed map finished off as well, would you be interested in that for testing as well or should I hold off on it for a while?

Offline Oliveran

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »
This!

Hey, just wondering if you have had a chance to test yet? I have a new closed map finished off as well, would you be interested in that for testing as well or should I hold off on it for a while?

We've just lost a lot a couple of people arranging the map testing sessions. We're also quite busy with WNL. I'll talk with people and come up with a response ASAP. If you got any more maps, post them. We'll take them all in our testing sessions, so the more maps we can cover at the same day, the better.

Hopefully these maps will be as good as Verloren :)

Please teach me how to block :c

Offline AZAN

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »
This!

Well its not a good map if you can't crossfire the flags :P. Hopefully none of the positions are too strong though, its not like frosty where you have all the elevated and hilly positions you can't get to. I also tried to add more cover and dividing lines as I say, to try to break the map up and stop it being a complete shooting gallery.

Hopefully these maps will be as good as Verloren :)

I designed the new closed map around similar principles to Verloren, so hopefully it will, the open map is more difficult since there isn't a single one which doesn't have problems. Reveran village is probably the best of the lot but even that suffers a bit from having very little elevation and has other issues like invisible walls and deep water. Don't think anyone has really got the formula down for open maps well yet (although castellum seems pretty good), but I keep trying.

Offline ReneKB

• Forum Moderator
  • Consultant
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »
We also would be fine with uploading this map. We just found one glitch which need to be fixed but overall we believe this would be a great map:

Spoiler
After some messed movements you're able to stay on this position:

Offline AZAN

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
Will fix tonight and re-upload, thanks!

Offline m1tchell23

• Class: Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »
here's the link with a barrier over where i think you managed to get up should be fine now, azan asked me to do it as he has keyboard troubles

http://www.speedyshare.com/Qzcvp/scn-multi-scene-custom-15.sco
War does not favour the brave, but the cowardly.

Offline AZAN

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 12:20:54 PM »
Yeah my keyboards broken at the moment so when I got back I realised I wouldn't be able to fix it XD.

Offline Dasvi

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 06:24:08 AM »
Okay

Personally I think that in IG Battlegrounds EVERYONE would rush ruins. Lancearounds will be very satisfying to pull out though (Or lance through a ruin window :D)

In competitive, the curved ruin part with the window will be the main battlepoint since:

Team 2 will probably take the ruins near Rocks Flag and the curved ruins

Team 1 has no cover heading to Rocks Flag (though elevaion may trick me here as well) so they must take the big ruins to push Rocks Flag

I would have to test it in IG Battlegrounds to test if the above is true so take it with a pitch of salt

Offline AZAN

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 11:30:25 AM »
Personally I think that in IG Battlegrounds EVERYONE would rush ruins. Lancearounds will be very satisfying to pull out though (Or lance through a ruin window :D)

Can't disagree that people that people will go ruins a lot, but I have balanced it so that both teams can get inside the ruins in roughly equal time. In play testing with small numbers about half of the engagements actually ended up being on the outside of the castle and spilled over towards the forest, but not sure if that will scale up.

In competitive, the curved ruin part with the window will be the main battlepoint since:

Team 2 will probably take the ruins near Rocks Flag and the curved ruins

Team 1 has no cover heading to Rocks Flag (though elevaion may trick me here as well) so they must take the big ruins to push Rocks Flag

I would have to test it in IG Battlegrounds to test if the above is true so take it with a pitch of salt

If I understand you right here rock flags refers to the left most flag position on the map? I would half thought holding both the bottom ruins and the castle ruins would be difficult since they have poor line of sight with each other due to the elevation, castle wall and solitary ruin. But castle ruins would definitely be useful for team 1 if it does spawn at the left most flag, although there is a route with cover around the other side of the map as well.

Offline Dasvi

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 05:48:50 AM »

If I understand you right here rock flags refers to the left most flag position on the map?

The one further away from both spawns

Offline Chaingun

• Archers were evil already in the 15th century.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 06:29:24 PM »
My main complaint is that on public a lot of people are too stupid to immediately run for cover from spawn 2, resulting in them getting slaughtered by team 1's cav out in the field. Then I die because I try to help them.  :)) This is no fun in the end for either team since it means constantly unbalanced sides. Maybe it will get better automatically as people learn the map. But if you can move the spawn to make it more obvious that being in open field as inf == bad without unbalancing it for competitive play it's preferable.

Don't mind a bit more open map by itself because they are far and few between on IG.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:37:12 PM by Chaingun »
Ignore the fact my Steam profile is an email address - I haven't used the address for years.