Author Topic: Nord Town Revised [currently on the server]  (Read 5781 times)

Offline AZAN

Re: Nord Town Revised
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
So we recently played this version of Nord Town in the WNL and obviously it has been played on IG for ages now. One thing becoming clear is the map domination that the top spawn possesses. The image below shows the area of the map that each team controls by default (in my opinion).

Spoiler

The main issue is that the top team has control of the balcony which in turn dominates the lower part of the central area. This limits movement for the bottom team onto the right flank and often forces the bottom team to funnel up graveyard alley or up the slope to attack the top area. I'm not a big fan of depriving teams of options, so I have made a new version which I will be putting up tonight, the idea is pretty simple though, put a new alley (blue) between the bottom spawn and the area below wall to give a more protected route for bottom spawn players to approach the right. It also lets them be a few seconds faster in getting to the wall so they can better contest that as well.

Spoiler

So I'm interested in what people think of that since obviously its a fairly major (but simple to implement) change to the map.

Offline Oliveran

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 12:22:58 PM »
Without playing it, I'd be concerned that in public, it'd become so that bottom team insta-camps the wall, and the top team goes through the bottom team's spawn and will not be fast enough to contest. Or that they try to contest from their side, and die to camping archers / xbows. Wouldn't removing the wall and make that into an alleyway instead (imagine the wall, but on the ground and as route towards the flag behind top team's spawn) prove to be better? Would remove camping. Also, archers and xbows are so good these days, so I don't think a lack of high-ground positions makes them weaker in public, and if anyone camps wall in competitive, the other team will just wait for flag anyway (since the wall gives nothing and sucks anyway), so it'd give some nice changes for sneak-attacks and such 8)

I just hate the wall in general, it gives nothing and does nothing apart from add some camping element to Nord Town. Would rather see more paths so that crossfires are easier to set up, because right now in matches almost all teams go 0-1 shooter, 5-6 inf and 1-3 cav (and in public, a lot of shooters camp there because it's the only position they won't risk getting jav'd / cav'd from - and in matches, you can just out-wait the other team for flag anyway, which neutralizes their shooters).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:26:44 PM by Oliveran »

Please teach me how to block :c

Offline AZAN

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 01:30:08 PM »
I did some speed tests and both teams can still get to their ends of the wall, so the wall should be contestable by either side and not wholly owned. The main thing that is giving the top team the wall at the moment is the fact that the bottom team run to it under fire and as such do so slower.

While I agree that rangers certainly don't need the protection they once had on maps like Village, I think its more interesting to have at least some height variance and provide some places which are worth taking. But the wall really isn't all that good when you look at it, it's pretty pushable from the top side and can be crossfired pretty easily. Usually its upsetting on public simply because the team just suicide charges it.

If you take the wall away people won't stop camping, they will just do it somewhere else and its the act of camping that is frustrating more. Have to say I haven't seen much in the way of camping the wall recently though, usually it's a big fight concentrated around centre, U bend and graveyard alley.

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 03:26:22 PM »
usually it's a big fight concentrated around centre, U bend and graveyard alley.

Isn't that only because the bottom team CAN'T get to the wall? If they get access to it, it might backfire harder. Just in theory, of course :P

Offline AZAN

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »
Well I think it should be ok if both teams can contest it. Better than having a situation where a team has no choices anyway.

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »
We'll keep the old version of your Nord Town up on IG_BG for now - we want to keep the server as competitive as possible, with only a few custom maps for as much enjoyment as possible! Once WNL is over, we can try out your new version.

Offline AZAN

Re: Nord Town Revised [currently on the server]
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 03:58:48 PM »
Here's a link to the new version of Nord Town I have made, call this one v1.2.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x8vftzq93tb8ucb/scn_multi_scene_nord_town.sco

Spoiler

Offline Oliveran

Re: Nord Town Revised [currently on the server]
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 05:05:58 PM »
When it's confirmed to be used on NC, I'll upload when I get to our server when I have time :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:08:57 PM by Oliveran »