Author Topic: Nord Town Revised [currently on the server]  (Read 5780 times)

Offline AZAN

Nord Town Revised [currently on the server]
« on: March 01, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
Noticed that Nord Town is back on and once again the skies are blackened with the silhouettes of xbows and archers. As such I modified Nord Town to make this less archer campy version. All that has been done is the removal of the stairs and ladder for getting up onto either spawn. On top of that I added a fixed ladder for getting up the other end of palisade.

Spoiler

Version 1.1: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3pijjjbxguunzjt/scn_multi_scene_custom_11.sco

Version 1.2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/x8vftzq93tb8ucb/scn_multi_scene_nord_town.sco

Code: [Select]
scn_multi_scene_custom_9 multi_scene_custom_9 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x0000000030015f2b000350d4000011a4000017ee000054af
 outer_terrain_plain

Overall I think this should make a modern and much less campy version of the original. The roof areas only ever served to slow the gameplay down and grant an invincible fortress to either team which encourages camping. That's true for both public and match conditions.

I hope you will consider testing and using this in place of the original or even the modified version with more ladders. Since that one also still suffers heavily from similar issues to the original, even with the additional access routes.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:00:09 PM by AZAN »

Offline Oliveran

• Class: Infantry
Re: Nord Town Revised
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 11:19:29 PM »
I hope you removed the cart on the bottom spawn, even though they "fixed" it I could still glitch up on it on the fixed version.

Otherwise, great idea! Might actually make Nord Town quite enjoyable again. To be fair, it's still a great archer map without those positions in matches, just adds a new, good element by removing an old, bad one.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:21:52 PM by Oliveran »

Please teach me how to block :c

Offline AZAN

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:56:24 AM »
I didn't remove the cart but I added a barrier to prevent the glitch.

Offline Folms

• i'm coming at you like a d̶a̶r̶k̶ rainbow horse
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:28:59 AM »
Thank you for your submission Azan, the map should be active in the next 30 mins.

EDIT: It's on now.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:42:10 AM by Folms »
Nedsat: he is so active that he managed to catch tomy online but not in Warband and invited him to play then he gets my vote.... and my axe.

Offline Cristo

• A mind without purpose will wander to dark places
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »
The idea is good, it will stop camping on the spawn. However, now it looks like a cavalry heaven. No elevation means that there is no way of surviving against cav spam (which happens 99% of the time on the battlegrounds). I think there should be some additional elevated position; pallisade is just too far.
No guts, no glory!

Offline AZAN

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 09:05:27 PM »
Guess see how it plays for a bit then, it may take rangers a while to learn where to go etc... I can always add some stuff back if that turns out to be the case.

Phoenix_

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
This map is so better than real Nord Town.Because camping is blocked for this map.  :thumbup:

Offline AZAN

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:45:01 PM »
Updated it to block off the roof next to the new ladder.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3pijjjbxguunzjt/scn_multi_scene_custom_11.sco

Offline Kekn

• Forum Administrator
  • Vice President
  • The only free thing is the cheese in a mousetrap
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »
Unfortunately your fix did not solve the problem with archer camping, only made it worse. Every team will now seek towards the only elevated position on the map, which is the wall. With only 2 narrow stairs, it is easily defensible and makes for a horrible experience for the lower spawn team. And yes, ranger classes are now more viable than ever and cavalry non-existent.

I don't believe that removing elevated positions and making the map entirely flat is a solution in general. It makes for a more boring experience, when things are only removed and nothing new is added. In my opinion the original Nord Town was a lot more suited for battlegrounds.

Offline Blivandefar

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
think this is better than people not walking out of spawn tho  Z:)

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 03:07:05 PM »
Or we remove the wall - having ONE non-archer favored map (which EVERY single map is, apart from Ruins and Field by the River - Frosty Battle is not as cavalry strong as imagined in public) in the rotation isn't that bad - if every infantry in the game would whine because we can't play much at all on Ruins, Field by the River, Frosty Battle etc., we'd have to change every map there as well. Also, I think Verloren is to some extent infantry favored, since people often go into the tower, but there archers can dominate as well.,

I'd rather just see one map that makes infantries happy, because it's kinda boring to play on Ruins, Field by the River etc. on public - even Village is a big bloody mess, crossbows on all roofs makes it hard to push any ladder.

My suggestion:
Just remove the wall, or add another way in (maybe add an extra ladder?).

Offline Cybran

• Class: Cavalry
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 12:09:32 AM »
My suggestion:
Remove the wall and people will go cav.

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 11:47:08 AM »
My suggestion:
Remove the wall and people will go cav.

Have the wall there and nobody will go cav...

Offline Bauglir

• Class: Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
Removing the spawns actually made everyone play cav, everytime when I'm on IG and theres nord town it's full of cav and rest of the people either taking a race who reaches the wall faster or just runs around the map like in Sandi. The wall doesn't stop cavs in any way in my opinion

Offline Turambar

• Class: Cavalry
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »
A proper class limit would solve anything  :woot: ! Lately too many archers camping\too many cav stomping around unlucky pedestrians... eccc

But it feels like now the major issue is people choosing a certain class than actually maps being bad ( except Sandi's bush Lemmings Map or Village Counter Strike v2.0 ). No one is having fun with 100000 archers\cavs around, with a proper class balance each map in warband would be nice ( except some of them i personally deeply hate  ;:) )

It would be nice doing something in that area rather than changing maps ecc.

Btw best map in this game is field by the river\ ruins  8)