Author Topic: What is the BEST game you have ever played?  (Read 24174 times)

Offline Veritas

• Class: Infantry
Re: What is the BEST game you have ever played?
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2014, 12:53:24 AM »
Ill take the one that hooked me the most emotionally and that was Terranigma. I was 8 when i got it to Christmas and i completed it in three days. The end confused me so much at that age. I couldnt grasp why it needs to happen that way in the end that i was disturbed for over a week, barely ate and my parents didnt knew what to do with me. But today terranigma is for me the gratest game they could have produced back then.

Offline Thomas of Hookton

• Ooy mate! scooby-doo is less confused than you.
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »
this, definitely

'Nothing gives a fearful man more courage than another's fear.'

Offline Pain

• Class: None
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2014, 10:08:45 PM »
Best (for me) titles of my favourites genres:

RTS: Medieval: Total War (especially the Viking Invasion expansion)
Turn based Strategy: Civilization III (or Heroes of Might & Magic III, can't decide)
FPS: Call of Duty II
Combat Sim: Operation Flashpoint: Resistance
MMO: Lineage 2 (i'm mainly an MMO player so i've played most of the major titles that came out the last 10years, but i spent most of my ingame time in Lineage2)

Still, the BEST game i've ever played is Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol. It's an old-school dungeon crawler of 1995 and one of the few games that i liked so much but never actually got to "finish". I am almost sure noone here has ever heard of it but still, it ROCKS.

I seriously hope that the upcoming Wildstar will replace Lineage2. But it's taking ages to launch!!!!
Grow a beard, they said. Become a man, they said. Don't burn my family and pillage my village, they said.

Offline Mugin

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2014, 10:48:34 PM »
Best game ever for me was no doubt Ultima Online. First MMO and still the one you could do the most stuff in, nothing to this date has the same wide range of things to do.

Offline Kekn

• Forum Administrator
  • Vice President
  • The only free thing is the cheese in a mousetrap
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2014, 11:56:26 PM »
Heroes of Might and Magic III (anything after that is shit)
Rome Total War (the first one)
Sid Meier's: Pirates!

I should probably mention Diablo II. It's not my favorite, but somehow I managed to lose my teenage years to that game!  :bag:

Offline Thunder

• It's a very happy day ! We'll have some fun, fun
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2014, 08:34:26 AM »
Heroes of Might and Magic III (anything after that is shit)

The 3rd was really hard, the magicians were really op then, and I was mostly warrior Heroe, but magicians always one shoot my unities with their magic :( .
The best for this game was to play on Hot seat ! But because I was playing with 2 ragers (3 with me) we could only finish a game by being allies heheh...

The 4th was really bad yes ! The era of bad 3d ! I found 3rd graphism better than the 4th one, because of that.
Spoiler

Spoiler

But man, you need to test the 5 one ! I really love it :D !
It's more casual than the 3rd one obviously, but the graphism are magnificient, the history is not bad and the orcs are op muahahah !
There is not only magic on that one, orcs have rage and antimagic, and dwarfs have runes ! I don't know how you can not love it  ;)

Spoiler
By the way vampire sounds on the second was a joke
begin at 4:30
"We are not a local band
We are from outer space
We don't even give a damn
We will probably smash your face"
Dead milkmen- Milkmen stomp

Offline Kekn

• Forum Administrator
  • Vice President
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:20 AM »
Oh, I've tried both 4 and 5, but somehow I dislike the graphical design of 5. Too much pomp and pink-unicorn feel! Also, the world just feels less interesting. In the 3rd instalment, there were a TON of maps. You could play for 10.000 hours and still keep playing new maps. And the map editor was a great feature -- to see how your own map creations play out is also very satisfying.

One of the most satisfying accomplishments is getting to the highest level of spells. From 3rd to 4th tier, the leap is so great -- you suddenly affect a whole team at a time. For instance, go all archer then cast Mass Slow and watch the onslaught.  :popcorn:

EDIT: Speaking of OP: Diplomacy! The chance of talking people to join your cause would often end up in ridiculous team compositions as well as ridiculously powerful troops. I've never seen it implemented like this in any game since, which is sad.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:34:06 AM by Kekn »

Offline Pain

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »
Did you guys play the "promo-episodes"(don't know how else to call them) called Heroes Chronicles? They were a lot easier but still, fun. I think i played all of them when i was younger, "Clash of the Dragons" being my favourite as far as i can recall.

Might & Magic: Heroes VI was quite good but it had terrible multiplayer. I think i only managed to play 2-3 games cause like almost everyone else i was getting the so-hated "connection timed out" message everytime i tried to join a game.

I'm wondering if it's just nostalgia that makes HoMM III so good...

The gaming industry sure suffers from the "good graphics-crappy atmosphere/story" illness. Hope they will someday change that. I really miss the times when i would play a game for months and not for days before i got bored of it...
Grow a beard, they said. Become a man, they said. Don't burn my family and pillage my village, they said.

Offline Veritas

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
I liked HOMM3 alot too. But after that it was difficult to find a good alternative. I had alot of fun with Age of Wonder II. It even maked some things better as HOMM3. As example the political system. I found it always strange that you are unable to change alliances with other players while in the game. I like the surprise of the betrayal of someone i thought he would be an ally.
A third installment of that one is coming, im curious how it will turn out.

HOMM5 didnt hold me for too long. And i cant really say why.

Offline Thunder

• It's a very happy day ! We'll have some fun, fun
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »
I thinks the best alternative is Disciples, not really known, but it's really cool !
I recommand you the 1 or the II, the I is the best so far, and the 3rd... Just don't play it !
It's not like HoMM though, it's more like turn by turn strategie but the map is incredible big :D
"We are not a local band
We are from outer space
We don't even give a damn
We will probably smash your face"
Dead milkmen- Milkmen stomp

Offline Kekn

• Forum Administrator
  • Vice President
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2014, 02:03:35 PM »
Agreed, I was wondering if I should put Disciples II on the list or not. The expansion is also quite good. I chose not to, because of the very story driven gameplay, which tends to make the game much slower paced. That's a shame, because the gameplay and core concept is something quite unique. I'll recommend the game anyday, nevertheless.

Offline Harman

• Mille milliard de mille sabord!
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »
HoMM III is the best. It's a nice way to deal with hangover. Start a day after party with a breakfast(optional) and a Heroes III multiplayer, priceless.  :'(

18:48 - [IG] Kekn: The thing I see the most, is stressing out and swinging wildly without thinking. If you make sure you have both enemies in your sight at all times, you can easily stay calm the whole time.

Offline Wezyk

• Pink Witcher
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
HoMM III is the best. It's a nice way to deal with hangover. Start a day after party with a breakfast(optional) and a Heroes III multiplayer, priceless.  :'(

Ye I did it once, altough we hadn't got hangover and we started playing HoMM III,drinking rum and listening to the Greatest Hits of Genesis( 3 cool CDs) at 7 AM after all night drinking  :rolleyes:
Zero poczucie humoru... Zupełnie jak w IG...

Offline SpheRe

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »
Bioshock Infinite
Left 4 Dead 2
Dark Souls

Offline Osares

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »
I think i already wrote here somewhere but anyway:

Amnesia Series - Very well made games and i <3 getting scared in them (however not always that pleasant when im actually scared  ^^)

Bastion - <3  , Nothing else to say about it : )
According to Aeronwen: Basics for life... Air, Water , Excel