Author Topic: Muting players  (Read 2260 times)

Offline yourNotAlone

• You're not alone. I'm always with you!
  • Class: Ranger
Muting players
« on: September 19, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
I did not know where to put this, but I was wondering if it was possible for server admins to mute players so there's no way to see what they're writing anymore for other players. IMO, it would be some way to stop attention seeking players who are NOT acctually breaking rules. It can be quite annyoing when there are players just talking shit without stopping.
Quote from: Zoltanus
14:44 - Zoltanus: <3
14:44 - Zoltanus: 4 ever

Offline Oliveran

• Class: Infantry
Re: Muting players
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »
I did not know where to put this, but I was wondering if it was possible for server admins to mute players so there's no way to see what they're writing anymore for other players. IMO, it would be some way to stop attention seeking players who are NOT acctually breaking rules. It can be quite annyoing when there are players just talking shit without stopping.

Yes, this is possible (included in our adminmod). I've done this once when two people were arguing :) Though I'm not sure if a mute can be permanent, like say I mute you, then you leave and re-join, if you'd still be muted. Will check though!

Remember, the games module is in python - so muting should be possible, coding-wise. I'll maybe try do it once we start with python in university - if not someone makes it before me ^^

Please teach me how to block :c

Offline Alene

• The Kingdom of Swadia
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »
Remember, the games module is in python - so muting should be possible, coding-wise. I'll maybe try do it once we start with python in university - if not someone makes it before me ^^

Unfortunately you're wrong there. Although the module files are python files, the scripting language inside is not. Warband uses it's own language, and python is used only when compiling the module files into .txt files.

As far as I can tell, permanent muting would require either individual script for each muted person in the module file (requires a lots of work for each mute), or interaction between the game server and web server database to keep track of the muted people, which is more smart approach to the issue.
//Alene

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 07:40:31 AM »

Unfortunately you're wrong there. Although the module files are python files, the scripting language inside is not. Warband uses it's own language, and python is used only when compiling the module files into .txt files.

As far as I can tell, permanent muting would require either individual script for each muted person in the module file (requires a lots of work for each mute), or interaction between the game server and web server database to keep track of the muted people, which is more smart approach to the issue.

Oh, thanks for telling me! :)

Though, I still got to think there's some way to do this... Like, there's many scripts made for this game, like re-spawn scripts etc., that activates only when you - say for an example - hit a certain object.

So if a script would check through a .txt list everytime someone's joining to see if they're perma-muted, it's not needed to have an individual file per permamute? It could work exactly like bans, but a script that instead of forcing them to not being able to join the server, instead removing the possibility of calling for (sending) text (typing, that is)? Not sure if that'd work, but assuming that the games script is "as smart" as python - it should easily be possible? Or maybe I'm missing something here. :P

Offline m1tchell23

• Class: Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
i'm looking forward to ban appeals to get un-muted in a game
War does not favour the brave, but the cowardly.

Offline Alene

• The Kingdom of Swadia
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 01:14:37 AM »
So if a script would check through a .txt list everytime someone's joining to see if they're perma-muted, it's not needed to have an individual file per permamute? It could work exactly like bans, but a script that instead of forcing them to not being able to join the server, instead removing the possibility of calling for (sending) text (typing, that is)? Not sure if that'd work, but assuming that the games script is "as smart" as python - it should easily be possible? Or maybe I'm missing something here. :P

Warband can't access other files, only way to do it is through a webserver. That is not overly complicated though, and I think anyone with smoe experience with Warband modding can do it.
//Alene

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 01:33:02 AM »

Warband can't access other files, only way to do it is through a webserver. That is not overly complicated though, and I think anyone with smoe experience with Warband modding can do it.

So textfile A can't access textfile B? That seems very weird, and stupid. I mean, if there's just two local textfiles, they should be able to call on each other? :p

Offline Alene

• The Kingdom of Swadia
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
Yes, as stupid as it seems, that's how it works. Also note that no .txt file alteration come in effect until server restart, so even editing ID's directly in the .txt would not help much.
//Alene

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
So a server-restart would be needed for each ban... *sigh* I can mute if people complain lots, but it's only temporary. I'll ask Gotha and see if maybe we can come up with something!

Offline Skeletor

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 08:11:22 PM »
can you not write a separate program.... that works by listing all the 'permamutes' and continuously scans new joins.... and automatically mutes them?..... so basically if an administrator mutes someone, it keeps a log of it.... and when they try to rejoin it automatically 'remutes' them...