Author Topic: What books are you reading?  (Read 43404 times)

Offline M

• Class: None
Re: What books are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
All books of Ken Follet, Noah Gordon, Wilbur Smith and alot of other Writers whose stories play in the past (prefered egyptian history, middle age and 1700's, 1800's centuries).

I prefer Wilbur Smith and I love his books about the egyptian story (eg. Warlock) and the Courtney family (eg. Monsoon).
I like Wilbur Smith's The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air ;)

Offline Chikun

• Cluck cluck cluuuuuck!!
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2010, 01:15:29 PM »
I like Wilbur Smith's The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air ;)

+1

Offline Gregory

• ROAR!!11oneone
  • Class: Infantry
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2010, 06:19:16 PM »
I love reading Aizek Azimov

Offline Claire

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »
Ancient Evenings by Norman Mailer
  • Claire
  • Chii Chii

Offline Uthred

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2011, 11:37:35 AM »
Bernard Cornwell - The Burning Land

Offline SCGavin

• Forum Administrator
  • President
  • If you want a decision, go to the point of danger
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »

Your name gives you away!
To protect the spacehands and officers of the Imperial Navy, the Emperor Gavin is equipped with 5 Turret Sandcasters, an efficient 9MW Meson Screen, 600 sensor decoys, and a hull over 5.3 centimeters thick of proven Bonded Superdense Armor.

Offline Lugh

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »

Your name gives you away!

Shouldn't that be Uhtred? ;)

Offline SCGavin

• Forum Administrator
  • President
  • If you want a decision, go to the point of danger
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »
To protect the spacehands and officers of the Imperial Navy, the Emperor Gavin is equipped with 5 Turret Sandcasters, an efficient 9MW Meson Screen, 600 sensor decoys, and a hull over 5.3 centimeters thick of proven Bonded Superdense Armor.

Offline Uthred

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2011, 12:35:38 PM »
yer i realised it was a typo but too late now haha

Offline Lord Willy

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2011, 01:03:26 PM »
No
yer i realised it was a typo but too late now haha
No , Just click on Profile ,Modify profile , account setting , then you can correct the name , note that you have to put the password again to do that.

Offline Alexander

• Banned
  • "Because you're worth it."
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2011, 11:09:36 PM »
Probably the best series of novellas I've ever read would be The Chronicles of Amber, by Roger Zelazny; there are about 12 (I think) books in total, however each one is only about 100 pages iirc, which is why they're normally put together into one big book. =P

For Science Fiction, Philip K. Dick was a pretty awesome author, I reckon his best works would probably be Ubik and Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, the latter was made into the film Bladerunner.

Another pretty amazing read is The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin, which goes into an exploration of the nature of dreams and reality etc.

Whilst not technically books, I've been getting a little into Sartre at the moment after studying Existentialism, and I'd recommend
Existentialism is a Humanism (or Existensialism and Humanism) - which is a speech Sartre gave regarding existentialism in general - and No Exit, which is an exploration of the concept of the Other - this is the one that the quote "Hell is other people," comes from, although it's apparently more aptly translated as "Hell is the Other."

Morii, one of these days I'll read those Malazan books. =P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:14:20 PM by Sir_Alexander »

Offline Chikun

• Cluck cluck cluuuuuck!!
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »
Start NAOW!! The first book is good, but it will leave you with many questions, which is the writing-style/intent of the author. The moar you read the moar you'll be addicted! Great about the Malazan books is also that its very nice to re-read them from the start of the series, you will suddenly get so many intricate details and twists in the different stories and the overall world that its almost like experiencing an epiphany.

Currently reading the Ice and Fire series from George Martin, Harman/Josephe recommended them to me. Sofar (Im still in the first book) its a very nice read and I'm enjoying it a lot!

Offline Lugh

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2011, 12:28:15 AM »
Whilst not technically books, I've been getting a little into Sartre at the moment after studying Existentialism, and I'd recommend
Existentialism is a Humanism (or Existensialism and Humanism) - which is a speech Sartre gave regarding existentialism in general - and No Exit, which is an exploration of the concept of the Other - this is the one that the quote "Hell is other people," comes from, although it's apparently more aptly translated as "Hell is the Other."

Ew, Sarte. I read Between Existentialism and Marxism after I wrote my masters thesis (a critique of non-representational theory). The theory is sort-of tied to Existentialism which required reading all sorts of existential papers: Heidegger gives me nightmares.

After I finished writing it my head was a philosophical mess. I sought out Sartre in an attempt to bridge the gap between Marxism (my philosophical grounding) and all the existential rhetoric I'd found myself coming to agree with.

It didn't work. I found it all a bit.... wishy washy. And felt more confused than I did to begin with!

A recent re-read of Capital (with the help of David Harvey) sorted me right out.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:13:37 AM by Lugh »

Offline Alexander

• Banned
  • "Because you're worth it."
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2011, 12:13:18 PM »
Start NAOW!! The first book is good, but it will leave you with many questions, which is the writing-style/intent of the author. The moar you read the moar you'll be addicted! Great about the Malazan books is also that its very nice to re-read them from the start of the series, you will suddenly get so many intricate details and twists in the different stories and the overall world that its almost like experiencing an epiphany.

I've got them around somewhere, so I may well give them another try once I've got through Catcher in the Rye (really wouldn't recommend, as far as I can see, it's just one long angsty whine.)

Currently reading the Ice and Fire series from George Martin, Harman/Josephe recommended them to me. Sofar (Im still in the first book) its a very nice read and I'm enjoying it a lot!

I think I read the first one of these (A Game of Thrones) a couple of years back, it was pretty good, but for some reason I didn't read any further in the series. That's another one to re-visit then. =P

Ew, Sarte. I read Between Existentialism and Marxism after I wrote my masters thesis (a critique of non-representational theory). The theory is sort-of tied to Existentialism which required reading all sorts of existential papers: Heidegger gives me nightmares.

After I finished writing it my head was a philosophical mess. I sought out Sartre in an attempt to bridge the gap between Marxism (my philosophical grounding) and all the existential rhetoric I'd found myself coming to agree with.

It didn't work. I found it all a bit.... wishy washy. And felt more confused than I did to begin with!

A recent re-read of Capital (with the help of David Harvey) sorted me right out.

I haven't really read or studied anything from Sartre's Marxist works, mainly just because I haven't studied anything else related to Marxism and it'd be a funny place to start. =P

I also haven't actually read anything by him longer than a dozen pages, so I don't really know too much about his style or the like.

On a related note, have you read any Camus? I read The Stranger (The Outsider) a couple of months back and, even aside from the ideas presented in it, it really was beautifully written. It was one of two books I was recommended on the theme of Existentialism, the other being Catcher in the Rye, and unlike the Catcher in the Rye, I'm really glad that I read the Stranger.

Offline Lugh

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »
I didn't really appreciate the Catcher in the Rye partly for the reasons you mentioned. Haven't read The Stranger but will check it out, could be a good commute read.

If you haven't read it already, check out News from Nowhere. It's a great utopian story: if you like that sort of thing. It doesn't take too long to read, which is probably why I've re-read it a few too many times :D I usually sit around daydreaming for days after each read.

It's also the name of my favourite bookshop in Liverpool. If you're ever visiting Liverpool you should drop in theret. Really great people with nice ideals and there's brilliant concentration of books in the shop too!