Author Topic: New PC ideas  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Evenus

• Class: Ranger
New PC ideas
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:20:31 PM »
Hi Ladies and Gents,

Any advice on the requirements for a decent gaming pc?  I currently have a dual core 2.66ghz intel e6550, with Nvidia GEforce 8600GT's and am stumped between  an intel i7 920 or a quad core i7 860.  What else should I be looking out for.... I pretty much use the pc solely for gaming with a little bit of net browsing etc, very little media streaming or anything along those lines.

Cheers peeps
  • Evenus
  • n/a n/a

Offline Valdarr

• Class: None
Re: New PC ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:25:18 PM »
i5 is quite interesting too. Especially when you dont want to pay too much money ^^

Offline Evenus

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 04:28:43 PM »
Hi Valarr, I almost bought an Alienware for 1400 today but decided against it because of the problems with the liquid cooling.  Cost is nott too much of an issue, I don't want a pc that I have to replace next year :)
  • Evenus
  • n/a n/a

Offline Valdarr

• Class: None
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »
Hi Valdarr, I almost bought an Alienware for 1400 today but decided against it because of the problems with the liquid cooling (o.0).  Cost is nott too much of an issue, I don't want a pc that I have to replace next year :)

=O

Just one thing, when i bought it, the i5 wasnt much worse than the i7, not sure how much that changed, but im dont have one bit of a problem with my i5. And that should hold a couple of years ^^

Offline Evenus

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 04:41:30 PM »
Will also be buying a new keyboard as this one keeps missing out letters!

(a bad workman always blames his tools  ;D)
  • Evenus
  • n/a n/a

Offline Lugh

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:46:58 PM »
If you're just gaming - go for the 860.

Offline Beardface

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
Quad core all the way baby, really noticing the difference of having 4 processor's ( And booting the pc up with them). Besides that you obviously wanna check the video card next ( I suggest avoid Nvidia and thumbs up to ATI but thats probably personal)

Offline Lugh

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »
Oh and if you aren't comfortable building one yourself and don't mind blowing a lot of money, then buy from somewhere like overclockers.co.uk, rather than Dell ;)

Offline Evenus

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 04:58:25 PM »
I am looking at:

Processor : Intel I7 860 2.8ghz 4800MT/S SKT1156
Hard Drive : 1tb 16mb Cache Serial ATA
Memory : 4gb DDR3 1333 PC10660
Motherboard : Asrock H55M DDR3
Graphics Card : Nvidia GeForce GT220 1gb with HDMI Output

Anything it might  worth upgrading on this?

Cheers for the advice guys, I am not really sure what I should be buying
  • Evenus
  • n/a n/a

Offline Chikun

• Cluck cluck cluuuuuck!!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 05:06:04 PM »
Quad core all the way baby, really noticing the difference of having 4 processor's ( And booting the pc up with them). Besides that you obviously wanna check the video card next ( I suggest avoid Nvidia and thumbs up to ATI but thats probably personal)

I second this

And its a good idea to go to one of those computerbuilding-fan sites (there's a lot of them) and have the 'tech nerds'* tell you what to buy free of charge.

*a nerd in my opinion is someone who knows far too much about one subject.

Offline Lugh

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 05:30:11 PM »
god damn 'backwards' button, lost my entire post!

Evenus, there's quite a bit 'wrong' with that build (especially if you have a budget of 1400!), send me a pm if you want a hand with it. Otherwise, you can check out the forum at overclockers. Plenty of reading material for you there, should be enough to make your eyes bleed!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:33:07 PM by Lugh »

Offline Illuminati

• Vision is the art of seeing things invisible.
  • Class: Cavalry
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 07:48:32 AM »
The way the machine runs is the most important thing to consider, but lets be honest, Alienwares look damn sexy :D

I may check out Lughs link myself when I return to London (for desktops). However, if I am to buy another Laptop, it would have to be an Alienware (17 inch), or the best gaming Dell laptop. Currently, I would rather wait for Alienware to release their next 17inch Laptop, I especially like the rib design (I hope the new models incorporate that again).

The most important thing for a gaming PC is the Graphics accelerater card, and I would recommend NVidia. You can always use more then one card in a Desktop PC too, so ensure you have plenty of slots.

If I were to build my own Desktop, I would ensure it had as much cooling as possible, and that it would be made from aluminium as opposed to plastic :P

Nothing annoys me more than bad designs, I mean, I'm looking at my laptop now and I just see so much room for improvement. It can get quite hot (the fans are pathetic), and having studied design and worked with metal/plastic/glass etc, I think it's a rip off to pay so much for a plastic PC.

Actually, Dell produce aluminium laptops (black or white): http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/adamo/topics/en/emea/adamo-onyx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs
The problem is that its not powerful enough for gaming (and the screen is too small). Also, this aluminium laptop was designed using aluminium for mostly aesthetic reasons, but we would want one that is so powerful, that it needs to be made from aluminium :P
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. -Epicurus