Author Topic: Strategus - upcoming event(s) on the cRPG server  (Read 7404 times)

Offline Alexander

• Banned
  • "Because you're worth it."
  • Class: None
Re: Strategus - upcoming event(s) on the cRPG server
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 08:05:20 PM »
The Strategus Beta is now growing, thought you might want to see this ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline SCGavin

• Forum Administrator
  • President
  • If you want a decision, go to the point of danger
  • Class: Infantry
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »
How is the ownership of villages, the finances of the factions and the number of troops decided? Is there an external map/site?

Spoiler
If they don't defend Istiniar...!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:56:25 PM by SCGavin »
To protect the spacehands and officers of the Imperial Navy, the Emperor Gavin is equipped with 5 Turret Sandcasters, an efficient 9MW Meson Screen, 600 sensor decoys, and a hull over 5.3 centimeters thick of proven Bonded Superdense Armor.

Offline Alexander

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
How is the ownership of villages, the finances of the factions and the number of troops decided? Is there an external map/site?

Spoiler
If they don't defend Istiniar...!

Well, once the beta is over, all the fiefs will be reset so everyone has equal footing. Unlike singleplayer, villages are capturable as fiefs. The ownership of villages is all AI based until someone decides to take one. At the moment, because it's still in Beta, finances largely still come from making gold in cRPG, although a complex economic system is in the making and you get an income from fiefs.

The way Strategus Battles work:

There are three factors that decide a Strategus battle.

1) The number of recruits each army has. You hire recruits from fiefs and what these basically act as is respawn tickets. So if you buy 1000 recruits, you will have 1000 respawn tickets for the battle. Say you then went into battle alone, the enemy would have to kill you 1000 times before they win the battle.

2) The people each army hires. When a battle is declared in Strategus, there is about 24 hours and it will then be staged on the EU_cRPG_3 Server. During this time, people may apply to join the battle. You can write what pay you expect to be given, a comment and which faction to apply for. Once you've been accepted, you can see messages from the commander regarding tactics etc.

3) The equipment each army has. All of the equipment is the stuff from regular cRPG, with the cRPG cost buying 100 of those items in Strategus terms.

This is the main screen of Strategus. You can look all over the map, but fog of war starts kicking in at some point (can't remember exactly when).

All of the blue text on the left are links which enable you to do different things:

Info Page: This contains the buy menu, all of your already purchased equipment, the transfer menu and the faction menu. (Not posting screenies due to important tactical info :P )

My Stats: This basically centres the map on your location and makes the box at the bottom visible.

You are in the vicinity of {fief name}: This gives you a new box with: Population of fief ( to do with it's number of respawn tickets if attacked); its owner; its garrisoned army size; its gold; how many available recruits it has; the ability to hire those recruits and the ability to attack the fief.

You spot the party of {Name}: This gives you a new box with: army size of the party; the ability to apply to join their faction and the ability to attack them.

I think that's everything. If you want to apply for the Strategus Beta, there's a check-box near the bottom of your character in which you can apply for it (although I think if you applied at this stage, you might be quite low down the list, I think the rate is one player being added each hour).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:56:33 PM by SCGavin »

Offline Illuminati

• Vision is the art of seeing things invisible.
  • Class: Cavalry
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 11:58:08 AM »
Very interesting, and thanks for the great post Sir Alexander.

A number of us spent hours and hours (all day and night), no sleep, just continuous cRPG :P
We had maxed stats/equipment and all the rest, but then we got tired of all the resets, stat adjustments to already acquired equipment, realised it was taking up too much time, and had a break (a loooong break).

This Strategos seems interesting though, judging by your post it seems like single player was somehow cleverly integrated in to multiplayer.

So as an example, if I see PlayerX on the map there.
Having made money through cRPG I aquired good equipment, a horse and lance, high stats etc while PlayerX is low level with rags and a club.

If I was then to engage PlayerX, would there be some sort of balancing system in place to make it fair?
Would it be a duel?
Or if we each had 100 troops, would that mean we would need to kill each other (and the bots) 100 times?
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. -Epicurus

Offline Alexander

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »
So as an example, if I see PlayerX on the map there.
Having made money through cRPG I aquired good equipment, a horse and lance, high stats etc while PlayerX is low level with rags and a club.

If I was then to engage PlayerX, would there be some sort of balancing system in place to make it fair?
Would it be a duel?
Or if we each had 100 troops, would that mean we would need to kill each other (and the bots) 100 times?

Firstly, I believe that money in Strategus can still be earned while in the battle preparation stage, so they may be able to get themselves some equipment.

If you both had 100 troops, there are no bots. The troops which you recruit act as additional respawn tickets for the humans which you hire. If you both decided, for example, to not hire anyone, then the person who would win would be the first to take out all their opponent's respawn tickets (i.e. kill them 100 times.)

Also, if your party gets attacked and loses, you don't die forever, I think you just get teleported to a random location on the map.

Offline Elfy

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »
There are no bots in Strategus. If you have 100 players and 200 tickets (troops), your troops can spawn 200 times. In start you spawn once, meaning that
after start you have 100 tickets. If someone dies and respawns, amount is lowered with one.