Author Topic: EXPERIMENTAL 100 Player Server Live For Testing  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Aeronwen

• External Admin
  • malice toward none, charity for all, firm in right
  • Class: Ranger
EXPERIMENTAL 100 Player Server Live For Testing
« on: June 24, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?785317-EXPERIMENTAL-100-Player-Server-Live-For-Testing&p=17621403#post17621403

Quote from: GordonVanDyke;17621381
Hi Everyone,

We're experimenting with a 100 Player Server today in War of the Roses.  This is hosted by Multiplay on a very high end server rack at no extra cost to use, so I'd like to thank them for helping make this crazy idea possible.  That also means these will be special event server setting that happen only when there is unused hardware at Multiplay's disposal and will vary in location depending on availability.

WARNING
The server setting and capacity is untested and may be very unstable when it reaches 64+ players. Also, if you have a low end machine expect to suffer heavy FPS loss or CTD's when in large group battles. 

Server Settings being tested are...
Servername: Multiplay Official | EXPERIMENTAL TDM 100 Player Limit | 300 PL | Europe
Hardware Location: Maidenhead (Outer London)
Win Limit: 300 (should we change this?)
Time Limit: 60 mins (should we change this?)
Max Players: 100
Squad Size: 8 (should we change this?)
Maplist (in order):
Maps Clitheroe Forest, Mortimer's Cross, Edgecote Moor, Barnet (should we add any other mpas?)
Game Type: TDM - Large

Please leave feedback on the live setup and we'll incorporate what works and continue to test for the optimal settings.

Online Status: LIVE

12:39 - [IG] Lisen: wheres all the IG's?
12:39 - [IG] Aeronwen: no idea - out having lives?
12:39 - [IG] Lisen: unlikely but sure

11:53 - [IG] Aeronwen: hahaha I can try
11:53 - [IG] Lisen: Im pretty sure you will fail but that is something I like about you!
11:53 - [IG] Aeronwen: !!

Offline Thomas of Hookton

• Ooy mate! scooby-doo is less confused than you.
Re: EXPERIMENTAL 100 Player Server Live For Testing
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »
omg, seriously?

i can't imagine there are 100 players playing the game at one point, on the same server..
'Nothing gives a fearful man more courage than another's fear.'

Offline Thomas of Hookton

• Ooy mate! scooby-doo is less confused than you.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
btw, i hope pdx is not thinking about deleting most servers and put online only a couple 100 slot servers...
'Nothing gives a fearful man more courage than another's fear.'

Offline Aeronwen

• External Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »
I have no idea what they are thinking, I think it is possibly a good sign that they are committed to the game though

11:53 - [IG] Lisen: Im pretty sure you will fail but that is something I like about you!

Offline MKNine

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »
Interesting, a server than can hold half of the game's playerbase  :D

Offline Daanonymous

• I even enjoy the holes in the cheese
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »
Then Paradox only need to have 2 servers for WotR  :))

Offline MKNine

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »
Then Paradox only need to have 2 servers for WotR  :))

Haha, and just one more for WotV!

Offline Henry of Grosmont

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »
There's a quite interesting post by Gordon in response to mine on pdx plaza. Why is it interesting? It seems that pdx (well, at least Gordon himself) decided to deny any responsibility concerning lag/net code issues by putting the blame on us. Kind of reminded me Moo, when he wrote that he has never met a speedhacker in-game.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?785317-EXPERIMENTAL-100-Player-Server-Live-For-Testing/page2
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something.

Offline Aeronwen

• External Admin
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 07:17:02 AM »
There's a quite interesting post by Gordon in response to mine on pdx plaza. Why is it interesting? It seems that pdx (well, at least Gordon himself) decided to deny any responsibility concerning lag/net code issues by putting the blame on us. Kind of reminded me Moo, when he wrote that he has never met a speedhacker in-game.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?785317-EXPERIMENTAL-100-Player-Server-Live-For-Testing/page2

Quote from: GordonVanDyke;17636429

Second, LAG, what is that to you?  Is it your PC that is lagging, is it the server instance, is it the server hardware, is it the other players internet connection, is it your internet connection, etc... You get the picture, it just isn't that simple and based on your heavy frame loss on Towton I'd speculate your PC is the cause of some of the lag you experience.  I've played on the experimental server with about 70 people and had almost zero lag.  Yes there were high pingers that behaved odd, but there weren't that many.

Keep in mind my post warns those with computers that run on the lower end of the system specs.

Remember, this server was an experiment.  What I'd like to do in the future is have special event large player count servers for short events to drive more players back into the game and catch new ones who need that extra "that sounds cool" motivator.

Also, I have little to no frame drops on Towton, but realize it stresses out lower end rigs.

Well to be fair to Gordon what he was saying is that there are multiple possible reasons for lag. I expect he is well aware that the vast majority of the support issues when players complain they cannot start/run the game are because:
Their pc doesn't meet the minimum specs
They are using a laptop that is for some reason using the integrated GPU

There are also widely reported problems that turn out to be really strange routing issues
For example this thread by rigsby showed his connection from Germany to a UK server went via the US  I think we determined that many players from the east of Frankfurt were being routed into Frankfurt and then out to Londi=on or the US and then back to the Frankfurt server.  Strangely this sort of routing seems to be a problem only fo rmultiiplay hosted servers.

Having said that I think I remember that very recently Gordon got an incredibly high end pc, and he should be aware that he cannot expect the majority (or even any) of his customers to have anything like that.  Also when the devs play on their test server (in Amsterdam) they never experience any lag at all, which makes me wonder whether a lot of it isnt Multiplay related.  While Skitrel the customer relations chap is totally awesome and helpful it seems clear that many of the support/tech people at MP do not have much of a handle on what they are doing.  There was definately at least one time when they had the resources needed for each server set much too low.

So I think its a bit harsh to say Gordon was blaming the players, he was just pointing out that it is not clear cut.