Author Topic: What books are you reading?  (Read 25184 times)

Offline Chikun

• Cluck cluck cluuuuuck!!
  • Class: Ranger
Re: What books are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
Maybe the protagonist is a pirate who dislikes shirts and who is very skilled with his musket, a skill he uses in the name of love to kill unlovable persons - secretly of course.
:))

If an author agrees to use such a title and cover, they really have issues.

I bet hundreds and thousands of lonely whining housewives would disagree. At one time in my past a girl I was seeing confessed to me of reading these kinds of books, I couldn't help myself from laughing very loudly directly in her face... no need to tell you she didn't want to see me anymore afterwards :-[

The Soldiers Son i read from her started quite interesting, but the last two books werent nearly as interesting as the first, so it was quite a dissapointment.
I have to agree, this series was quite disapointing. Starts out pretty good, then the story becomes static, the main character literally becomes enormously fat and a lot of people die in a very uninteresting way, cutting out many possible storylines. To tell more would be spoiling, but lets just say that I don't recommend this series.

Offline Valdarr

• Class: None
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »

The Soldiers Son i read from her started quite interesting, but the last two books werent nearly as interesting as the first, so it was quite a dissapointment.
I have to agree, this series was quite disapointing. Starts out pretty good, then the story becomes static, the main character literally becomes enormously fat and a lot of people die in a very uninteresting way, cutting out many possible storylines. To tell more would be spoiling, but lets just say that I don't recommend this series.

Yeah, in the end its somewhat like looking at the protagonist getting beaten up all the time and sulking in disapointment over himself =/

Offline Chikun

• Cluck cluck cluuuuuck!!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 02:30:17 PM »
kinda emo, now that I'm thinking of it, quite depressing definetely.

Offline Fiddler

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb is only mediocre in my eyes, i have read many much better books.

That may be, yet I remember that when I read it a few years ago it felt quite worth the read.

Though, I can agree it's definetely not of the best you can find.
  • Fiddler
  • SootShade SootShade

Offline Elfy

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 06:00:55 PM »
I mostly read fantasy books, but right now I'm reading Hercule Poirot books. They're written by Agatha Christie.

Best fantasy books are Lord of the Rings, Inheritance Cycle and Harry Potter (don't kill me).

Offline Valdarr

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
*kills Elfy*

!

Offline M

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
I'm rereading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, one of my favourites.

Also listening to the audiobooks of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time as I go to sleep because I was into them when I was about 14 and the last in the series are coming out soon which makes me feel like I need to finish what I started. A bonus is that it's slow as fuck and puts me to sleep in 15 minutes guaranteed.

Offline Fiddler

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »
I'm sure it works for that. :))

Myself I wasn't really able to get past halfway in the series.
  • Fiddler
  • SootShade SootShade

Offline Elfy

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 08:16:57 PM »
*kills Elfy*

!

No! *Screams as Valdarr's lance impales his body and armor mercilessly*

End of the story.

Offline Nublet

• Green is best!!
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 08:32:51 PM »
*kills Elfy*

!

No! *Screams as Valdarr's Two Handed Sword of Cookies impales his body and armor mercilessly*

End of the story.

Fixed  ;)
"Lead us from death to victory, from falsehood to truth.
Lead us from despair to hope, from faith to slaughter.
Lead us to His strength and an eternity of war.
Let His wrath fill our hearts.
Death, war, and blood;
in vengeance serve the Emperor and the name of Dorn!"

Offline Valdarr

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 08:59:06 PM »
*kills Elfy*

!

No! *Screams as Valdarr's Two Handed Sword of Cookies impales his body and armor mercilessly*

End of the story.

Fixed  ;)

Thanks curse ;)

Offline Lugh

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 09:22:39 AM »
Also listening to the audiobooks of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time as I go to sleep because I was into them when I was about 14 and the last in the series are coming out soon which makes me feel like I need to finish what I started. A bonus is that it's slow as fuck and puts me to sleep in 15 minutes guaranteed.

Snap! Have you read Towers of Midnight yet? So many plots have come (or are coming) to an abrupt end, it's a strange feeling after (re)reading the series for so many years.

Offline Valdarr

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »

Snap! Have you read Towers of Midnight yet? So many plots have come (or are coming) to an abrupt end, it's a strange feeling after (re)reading the series for so many years.

Im at book 5, The Fires of Heaven, at the moment and i have to say, i greatly enjoy reading it!
Problem is, i dont know how many books there are exactly =/
The thing is, im reading it in english and there seem to be 13/14 books at the moment, while the german ones are at 33/34 ^^

Nontheless i really like it and i sooo hope that it doesnt screw up in the middle like the Sword of the Seeker-series

Offline M

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »

Nah I haven't read the newer ones yet. I think I read up to book 10 or 11 years back, but I'll keep listening through the audio books. Each book is a few weeks of falling asleep in less time than usual, it owns

Offline Pandafaust

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 09:38:29 PM »
I'm rereading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, one of my favourites.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that it's something crazy like 34 hours of audiobbok so far :P  I think the newest one is either out now or very soon indeed, I'll pick it up when I see it.  Books I'm currently reading are:

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - bit ploddy in places, but pretty readable and a fairly interesting concept.
Detecting Lies and Deceit: Pitfalls and Opportunities by Aldert Vrij - excellent case study book, but by no means bedtime reading.
The Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard & Frederick Braue - as above really, no point reading it unless you're interested in it, but if you do it's one of the top books out there.

Finally, I just finished First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde yesterday - this one's a good outing, but I wouldn't rate it as highly as his other books.  However, for sheer creativity and inventiveness I've not seen an author that has even come close to Fforde.
  • Pandafauste