Author Topic: Winterburg  (Read 867 times)

Offline volcom

• Class: Ranger
Winterburg
« on: September 20, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »
Hey,

So going through WNL5 maps something suddenly strikes me. Winterburg has been the only Tie-breaker map I've ever seen in any tournament for the amount of time I played warband.
And with this said, IG_Battleground Server is the closest simulation server to competitive battle. So why has Winterburg never been a map in the rotation?

P.S: Also add in the announced WNL5 maps to rotation please!
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,340026.0.html

Offline Dasvi

• Class: None
Re: Winterburg
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 07:39:51 PM »
Symmetrical maps tend not be interesting in public, especially considering the circling.

Personally I am ok with some maps from the WNL5 not being in the server map-list, if they suck in public play with 50 players. The biggest example is River Village, we took it down pretty damn quickly.

Offline AZAN

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
I would have to wonder if you have ever actually run a symmetrical map on the server or elsewhere because as far as I know the three I made are the only ones that exist and they have never been on IG. I have heard a lot about how symmetrical maps are not 'real maps' or that they will play worse but very little to back those kind of statements up. Some of the best maps from the old shooters like UT used to be symmetrical (such as Face).

Incidentally the maps were never intended specifically for this purpose, all three of them were made as prototypes for a custom balance mod I made which changed up the factions a bit. I wanted to push towards a hybrid match system where you would play an asymmetrical map and then a symmetrical one and pick factions, but it just ended up getting used as the tiebreaker in the end.

What was the issue with river village by the way? With the modifications the central area was much less defensible, seems like it can be a decent map although may still need some tweaks.

Online Oliveran

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
The 3 days we had it on, it was just horrible. Tons of camping, all archers at the cart etc. - just not giving a good feel of public play.

I also think (just my feeling) the fence outside near the water will be camped to its full extent, once people play on the map a bit.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:24:34 AM by Oliveran »

Please teach me how to block :c

Offline m1tchell23

• Class: Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 07:06:16 PM »
g
War does not favour the brave, but the cowardly.