Author Topic: Halcyon Quay  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Schubertt

• Class: None
Halcyon Quay
« on: June 13, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »
Hi,

This is my first map and I was wondering whether it could be suitable for your server.

Overview
Spoiler
Spawn 1
Spoiler
Spawn 2
Spoiler
Flag 1
Spoiler
Flag 2
Spoiler
Flag 3
Spoiler

Download-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/84932fgcaw6prmd/scn_multi_scene_5.sco?dl=0

Terrain Code-
Spoiler
scn_multi_scene_4 multi_scene_4 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000001400005000004190f000065a60000552100000fe5
 sea_outer_terrain_1

Updated link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0dp61877mz0b6i/scn_multi_custom_adimi_tool_scene_4.sco?dl=0
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:21:22 AM by Schubertt »

Offline Schubertt

Re: Halcyon Quay
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 02:05:16 PM »
Download and screenshots have been updated.

Offline Oliveran

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
Sorry for the late response, we'll take a look at it tomorrow!

Please teach me how to block :c

Offline Kiano

• Forum Moderator
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 12:05:15 AM »
Hi Schubertt,

Thanks for submitting this map. It's a very interesting map, really love the large garden. We would be happy to trial this on IG_BG, but would like you to make a few adjustments to the map.

-Could you try and make the top spawn larger, or offer more than one way for players to get out.

- Could you put set of steps here:

-Could you remove part of this wall, so it is easier for the steps to be pushed:

Thanks for submitting the map, hope to trial it once these adjustments are made!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:08:26 AM by Kiano »
They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace

Padraig Pearse - 1st August 1915

Offline Schubertt

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 06:47:04 AM »
Hi,

I've attempted to open up the top spawn a bit, which should be reflected in the download link. I trialed using this spawn with bots and noticed that they seemed to spawn in a strange way, skewed heavily to the right of the new area. I'm not sure whether this will be an issue with players, but I thought it was best to mention it.

Unfortunately I can't view those images which you've linked, so I can't improve those things right now.

Thanks for the help. :)

Offline Kiano

• Forum Moderator
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 10:09:28 AM »
Hi, thanks for making the changes. As long as players are able to get out of the spawn area relatively easy it should be fine.

Images should be fixed!
They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace

Padraig Pearse - 1st August 1915

Offline Schubertt

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
Thanks for that.

I've updated the file so it should all be in order now.

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »
Added the map to IG for a testing period :)

Offline Oliveran

Re: Halcyon Quay [Currently on the server]
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »
Okay, so:
The map's enourmous. There's no 'logical' paths to follow, it's like a big maze and you don't really know where to go. The map got plenty of hiding spots (making people only camp, glitch around and so on) - you can go onto most walls (which is bad), cav can get anywhere too by simply walking, flags are very spread apart and the open areas are too big.

The map isn't suited for battle, especially not medium numbers (30-40). I'll have to remove the map, because it doesn't fit IG_Battlegrounds as a server. Thanks for submitting it anyway, and I suggest you try add it to some TDM or DM server, because it'd be truly enjoying to play it there instead!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:21:19 PM by Oliveran »

Offline Schubertt

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »
Okay, thank you for trialing it anyway.

A little thought I just had was the potential for me to remove the top part of the map, leaving a far smaller and hopefully more intuitive map to play on. Here's an example of the changes to be made.

http://i.imgur.com/KK4pKDN.png

Do you think that this may help with the problem or would it be futile?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:15:47 PM by Schubertt »

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:32:06 PM »
It's pretty futile - the problem is the amount of spots people can be in that creates the issue. If you look at all the maps made by TaleWorlds, and all long-term maps like Reveran Village, Verloren and so on, you'll see that they only offer a few places to stay at, and those are mostly corners or a little high ground where cav can still catch you - these are the maps that survive in battle, maps that people crave to play more on.

The problem is that is 'too intiutive' - usually, each area should give at most two or three places to take cover on - one on a 'more protected' area where cav has a harder time, like barrels in corners or carts, and the rest should just be walls and corners. Here there's ten corners in each area, and five high-ground positions for each place you walk into.

Note that it doesn't make the map bad, it just makes it unfit for a battle server. Especially when the focus is on more competitive maps! :)

Offline Schubertt

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:39:50 PM »
Okay, cheers.

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 09:45:56 PM »
Okay, cheers.
As  I said as well, it seems fun for other game modes, to try them out there. Gl!