Author Topic: New study on WB balancing  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Kekn

• Forum Administrator
  • Vice President
  • The only free thing is the cheese in a mousetrap
  • Class: Infantry
New study on WB balancing
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:35:40 AM »
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,281413.0.html

Can't wait to look more into this, so many details to explore. I'd also want to make an analysis based on out Battlegrounds server to see if it backs up his findings.

Offline Chaingun

• Archers were evil already in the 15th century.
  • Class: Cavalry
Re: New study on WB balancing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »
I've looked at it, and while it's a very interesting study, it's worth noting its limitations. An example, Rhodoks is deemed to be the worst faction. AFAIK Rhodoks have been widely considered one of the strongest closed map factions and therefore one of the most popular factions for competitive. In light of this, I'd say "Rhodoks have been the worst performing faction in this run of the WNL" to be a more accurate conclusion than "Rhodoks are underpowered". If they are UP, it's situational.

When it comes to actual balancing implications, the study is very interesting though, because:
1) It rightly points out balance was very close but not perfect. If imbalance had been a larger decider of matches, I wouldn't have expected Rhodoks to come out on bottom.
2) It hints at some problems (Vaegirs coming out on top fits well together with the general opinion that they were OP, but again we need to be really careful as illustrated by the Rhodok situation).

Now to the sad part, the latest patch by Lust completely upset balance by an amount that wasn't needed at this point in the game's life span... Games that are close to balance only need tiny modifications to completely shift balance. I would have vastly preferred a series of incremental patches in which each change could be studied in isolation. E.g. a good start would have been a tiny nerf to Vaegirs, instead of the massive nerf they got, and then see where it got us.
Ignore the fact my Steam profile is an email address - I haven't used the address for years.