Author Topic: Shogun II TW  (Read 38964 times)

Offline Lord Willy

• Class: Infantry
Shogun II TW
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »
I bet that there are Many People here   , that Like  The  Total War Series  and Are eagerly waiting for the STW II  release .

So for who interested I would like you to share Hot Pics and Infromations about the game .

So  from the information we have the game

Sea Battles
Sea battles are handled differently than they are on NTW. The first thing is that you can actually use the coastline and sail up rivers and inlets during battle. They are also somewhat tied into land battles, now you can fight a sea battle and then if you win immediately land your troops and fight a land battle. No more waiting an extra turn to get into the land battle. I am not sure if that has been specifically mentioned before yet or not, but its pretty cool. The way the water looks has also been redone. Its hard to tell from screen shots and lo-res videos, but it looks great in game.
Land Battles
The GUI for battles has been reworked, and I understand its still a work in progress. Its a lot cleaner now, and takes up a lot less space on the screen. In the shot below notice the round generals icon on the bottom left. Clicking that extends or contracts the unit bar. It rolls up inside the generals control bar kind of like a ticker tape so its completely out of the way. The radar map and unit info cards have been changed as well.
You will also notice that this is a night battle in the rain. You can actually see the rain hit individual soldiers and then move and shimmer down their body. The water system has been completely reworked and is much more realistic, as has the light system for torches. In addition the other elements on the battle screen such as trees and bushes have been changed, they are now fully rendered 3D models.
Another cool feature is the ability to look from an individual soldiers eyes on the battlefield. In other TW games you can zoom down until you are right over the unit, but now you can actually look out the eyes of a soldier, and switch soldiers by using the mouse wheel. If you have your unit spread out in a big line, you can go all the way down the line and see what each individual soldier sees, including the back of their horses head.
Ninja and hero units have been discussed before as well, but I will throw out a few things. Ninja units can be moved around the entire permiter of the battle without beeing seen, and only when they actually engage will the enemy know they are there. Kieran and I talked about the hero units for a while, and he told me that they are pretty task specific. They are designed to be used against specific unit types, and will do well against those units, but not well at all against other unit types.
The battle AI has been changed, and will be changed even more as they test things. As I said earlier its still early in the development process and things are still being worked on.
For more of an RPG element to the game, you can now choose a path for your generals and have a bit more control over how they develope rather than the old Vices and Virtues system. I dont have any shots of this.

Generals speeches are back, and in a big way. There are now a lot more variables that go into how a speech is written and what comes out in game.
Campaign Map
As you might have seen in some of the magazine articles, there is once again a 2D element to the campaign map. The Fog of War is now in 2D and looks like an old map, the part of the world that you actually have knowledge of is rendered in 3D. It actually looks pretty cool. The GUI on the campaign side has been completely reworked as well, and again is still under developmen.

Some New Images:

Spoiler

Other Images and Videos http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/shogun2totalwar/images.html?tag=tabs%3Bimages

Offline SCGavin

• Forum Administrator
  • President
  • If you want a decision, go to the point of danger
Re: Shogun II TW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »
Looks nice!
To protect the spacehands and officers of the Imperial Navy, the Emperor Gavin is equipped with 5 Turret Sandcasters, an efficient 9MW Meson Screen, 600 sensor decoys, and a hull over 5.3 centimeters thick of proven Bonded Superdense Armor.

Offline Nublet

• Green is best!!
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
Awesome  ;D

didnt like Empire TW, since i dont think guns fit in TW

Anyway, im hoping this game is gonna be even better than Rome which was really good.

"Lead us from death to victory, from falsehood to truth.
Lead us from despair to hope, from faith to slaughter.
Lead us to His strength and an eternity of war.
Let His wrath fill our hearts.
Death, war, and blood;
in vengeance serve the Emperor and the name of Dorn!"

Offline Lord Willy

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:12:18 PM »
Yeah , and note that is only in Pre Alpha.

Offline Urgnot

• I'll be your huckleberry.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:49:17 AM »
... Must.. Get.

I love the TW series, I have every one except Napolean, I didn't want to buy the same game twice. :| Empire:TW was a good game, I personally liked it, but there was so many things wrong with it. Rome will always be the best.
  • 51st_Sgt_Urgnot
  • Urgnot Urgnot

Offline Beardface

• Class: Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 01:02:42 AM »
medieval II : Total war all the way baby! Altho im excited to check out Shogun total war : II. Heard the first was great, and it should give a nice variation in battle tactics/enviroments.

Offline Zoltanus

• The Valiant purges the evil!
  • Class: Cavalry
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 01:23:49 AM »
They should make Medieval III  :(.

"Cutlass": i hope to be pissed titfaced or wankerd

Offline Crayon

• Von Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 01:56:45 AM »
ROME II!

But then again we will have EUROPA BARBARORUM II for FREE, so that's good enough. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=454
  • IG_Baron_CrayonVonCaesar
  • Crayon Crayon

Offline Illuminati

• Vision is the art of seeing things invisible.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 02:35:35 AM »
SHOGUN TW 2 !
 :-*

I played the first one a loooooong time ago (on it's release), about 11 years ago!

I had the fastest PC at the time (top of the line) ...and it was a Pentium2 450! Imagine! That's how long ago the game was released.

It was the first of the Total war games, and of all the TW games, it's the most challenging.
Since I also love this era of Japanese history, I can't wait! You won't see me for a while upon it's release ....oh yeah, and I think it's time to buy a new PC :D

EDIT: I've waited for this for 11 years :P
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. -Epicurus

Offline Deathstar

• Art is what you make of it.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 02:40:31 AM »
I liked the first Shogun, as well as Rome and Medieval. Empire stunned me with its graphics but setting up lines and watching them shooting each other is not as entertaining as having two full-scale armies charging each other, unleashing fearsome battlecries and swinging their swords and axes.

Basically, Shogun II will be Medieval: TW with Empire: TW's graphics and a different setting.
Quote from: Overlord
22:26:35 - *DEAD* [CoR_Overlord_Overlord] Phew, you should be called "chef" Sophie. Nice cooking of attacks there.

Offline Decadence

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 02:42:10 AM »
The game and the atmosphere seems very creative. Never played the first one, so i donīt know how it is... it looks good!  ;)

Offline Kalient

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »
Looks pretty epic... The original Shogun was the first TW game I ever played.

Offline Lord Willy

Offline Deathstar

• Art is what you make of it.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »
The article revealed some stuff, I'll sum it up:

Agents are available, namely the Geisha, a trained assassin, the Ninja, another assassin, spy and saboteur, the Matsuka, who is a scout and a diplomat (used to uncover Ninjas and bribe armies to join your cause) as well as Monks. The latter will be either Buddhist or Christian ones and, unlike in other TWs, Christianity will be "imported". Factions may receive offers such as Gunpowder and other "hi-tech" discoveries in exchange for converting to Christianity, which will make the people unhappy but gives your army a significant advantage early on. It also says you can discover gunpowder yourself, it just takes longer.
The Bushido will play a major role as well, if you as the leader are not honourable enough with your choices, your generals may desert you and turn into Ronin, taking their subordinates with them. This forces you to choose wisely, if you want to have an army of peasant gunmen, who can easily mow down trained Samurai but are highly disloyal and expensive, or if you want to go the honourable way, keep your traditional approach and refuse any European offers. If you suspect one of your generals to be disloyal, you can order him to commit Seppuku, some sort of ritual suicide upon which you'll gain honour back, though he can choose to disobey in which case he'll most likely desert shortly after...
I hope the part about burning the farms is as important as it is displayed in the article, because then looting farms and other supply buildings will have a grave impact on the moral your enemy's armies.
A minor thing to conclude this summary with: Agents (and most likely troops) will change their outfits once they level up. This will be a cool thing, I miss the possibility to upgrade certain stuff like armour and weapons, like you could in Medieval, and that the soldiers will actually look different after doing so. Also, generals and agents will no longer randomly generate skills/perks, they will level up once they gained enough experience and then you'll get to choose which abilities they'd pick up. That makes it possible to create generals who are solely focused on war OR on civic management.
Quote from: Overlord
22:26:35 - *DEAD* [CoR_Overlord_Overlord] Phew, you should be called "chef" Sophie. Nice cooking of attacks there.

Offline Lord Willy

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:29 PM »
Thank you Sophie ;)