Author Topic: War of the Roses  (Read 27089 times)

Offline Osares

• Class: None
Re: War of the Roses
« Reply #225 on: March 04, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »
everyone ive asked about this game says it has one very poor feature that kills it. Client side hit detection. is it really as fucked up as everyone says :P i mean if im lagging like a mofo people cant hit me very easy?

Deppends, client side detection has it's bad sides, but also good sides.

One good thing is that you will always hit what you see no matter what, but that results in people sometimes getting a small "Ghost Reach" because he can be abit further ahed on his side (this is not that large distance though and often not noticable).

Another good thing is that the code for hitboxes and such can be more demanding resulting in better hitboxes (not just spheres and squares).

The main problem is when fighting people with around 150 ping and above,  since parries takes so long time to registrer because:

-You have to get the memo of him attacking, and/or
-he has to registrer your parry
 Basically he has hit you before you even had the chance to react

Another problem is with people who is teleporting around, since their computer may not be able to keep up or they have a very high ping. Though as long as you hit him on your side he will get the damage, and he is lagging so much he usually wont be able to play very well anyway^^

Though this is just my guesses how it works some things may not be 100% accurate but should portray what the problem is (if you play on a server with a low ping limit):
1. Sometimes a small ghost reach.
2. People with bad ping hitting through parries, but he cant parry you well either resulting in a fight solved by the guy spamming the best, though if he only strikes from one direction you will be able to parry since the only problem is that you cannot do "proper"(reactional) parries...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:20:49 PM by Osares »
According to Aeronwen: Basics for life... Air, Water , Excel

Offline Furiso

« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »
Ping is more of an issue when dueling because the edge a 120 pinger has over a 70 pinger can often more easilly win them the duel.

Outside of duels if the majority have near 100 and theres no/few excessive pingers (over 150) then you shouldnt notice any significant effect on your gaming experience.

I think the system works and is one of the better options.
Servers can also set ping limits to eliminate the problem. Generally it's good etiquette to find a more suitable server if your ping is far too high and the server has no limit.

Weapon-X

Offline Oliveran

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #227 on: March 06, 2013, 07:51:56 PM »
everyone ive asked about this game says it has one very poor feature that kills it. Client side hit detection. is it really as fucked up as everyone says :P i mean if im lagging like a mofo people cant hit me very easy?

I don't think they've fixed the ping-issue yet - instead of having the high-pinger get delay, the people who has low ping gets the delay from the other guy instead, so playing vs 100+ ping players is very hard (correct me if this issue has been fixed). :(

Please teach me how to block :c

Offline tomy

• dta designs
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #228 on: March 06, 2013, 08:51:09 PM »

I don't think they've fixed the ping-issue yet - instead of having the high-pinger get delay, the people who has low ping gets the delay from the other guy instead, so playing vs 100+ ping players is very hard (correct me if this issue has been fixed). :(
We are able to put a ping limit on our server so high pingers cant join the server.. its enough for now :)

Offline MKNine

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »

Offline Osares

« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
According to Aeronwen: Basics for life... Air, Water , Excel