Author Topic: War of the Roses  (Read 28957 times)

Offline Lord Willy

• Class: Infantry
Re: War of the Roses
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »
The Middle Ages is difficult under-utilized in the gaming context, and it will Fatshark do something about. Today announces the War of the Roses, an action game where swords, horses and shining armor turns the medieval gap.

The game is shaped by the 1400 or so it takes place in, so that both the weapons and equipment that forms of gambling carry typical character. That means close combat on foot or on horseback, you're wearing a suit of armor for protection and lances, bows and catapults in the arsenal. There is room for both a solodel and a multiplayer mode. Solo section can be described as a högbudget-tutorial, a way to shed light on how experience points, and unlocks new weapons (which of course is also used in multiplayer) is working. But single player is more than just a textbook, in the background is a story to discover and value of the solo playing is more than just teaching the game mechanics.

Barbecue at the neighbor on the hill. Bring your own catapult.

Multiplayer, however, the game's main component, and it inclines to any form of class and levlingssystem, such as thin armor that could eventually be replaced with more resistant.

- Focus is on collaboration, explains Martin Wahlund, President of Fatshark. There will be both small and large types, but it is too early to say how many people can participate.

Wearing 35 kg armor beats down like a bomb, awareness of the disadvantages of a strict diet plum.

It is still pretty early in the development process, so that ambiguity is also evident in other areas. We may, for example, no concrete details about the game types, more than that they will be typical. Clear is that Paradox is the publisher, the game developed exclusively for Windows (if other versions are present, they will take). It allows developers to concentrate on making the game as good as possible from the platform conditions, and avoids experimenting with different kinds of control methods and other things that can cause trouble. Or with Martins words you do not have to compromise.

As a small studio lacks Fatshark course resources to make and market the big games that can compete with giants like Call of Duty and Battlefield. But it might as well be an asset as a disadvantage.

War of the Roses is run by the game engine Bitsquid.

- Large companies, EA and Activision, is running with safe bets, says Martin. We have another freedom and can do whatever we want. Prior to Lead and Gold and Red Dead Redemption did not do western games, now everyone wants it. We can not say 'We are too small to make a Modern Warfare ", for us it's about making great games based on our circumstances. You have to find something you are passionate about.

When the War of the Roses is supposed to show up is not yet confirmed at this time, and the same goes for how big it be and what it will cost. We will be back with more information as soon as our siege of Fatshark office delivers results

Offline Kvite

• Class: None
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 04:23:53 PM »
Van Dyke (Paradox Interactive senior producer NDJab) said that he's hoping War of the Roses will have a broader, less hardcore appeal. "We really want to bring that to the mainstream, that kind of genre of medieval combat, as far as we can. So that people have a broader set of choices besides current combat and military shooters," Van Dyke added. When asked about the combat itself, he described it as similar to the aforementioned third-person Mount & Blade, albeit a bit more "arcadey."

It's designed around intense melee combat, similar to parts of the great M&B Aries, but where M&B had a big sandboxy gameplay WFAS will focus even more on multiplayer, player progression (as found in most big multiplayer games nowadays) and a ton of pretty graphics.

We don't see it as a competitor to the M&B series but rather a complement to it.

If you liked M&B chances are you're going to like this and vice versa.

Wait, what?? So if I like M&B I will also like M&B a bit more arcadelike? :))
I have a feeling this will be nothing like M&B.

Offline Wezyk

• Pink Witcher
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »
Intresting. I'm waiting for a gameplay.
Zero poczucie humoru... Zupełnie jak w IG...

Offline Manerick

• I came, I saw, I conquered - Manerick
  • Class: Cavalry
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 05:08:36 PM »
Spoiler
The Middle Ages is difficult under-utilized in the gaming context, and it will Fatshark do something about. Today announces the War of the Roses, an action game where swords, horses and shining armor turns the medieval gap.

The game is shaped by the 1400 or so it takes place in, so that both the weapons and equipment that forms of gambling carry typical character. That means close combat on foot or on horseback, you're wearing a suit of armor for protection and lances, bows and catapults in the arsenal. There is room for both a solodel and a multiplayer mode. Solo section can be described as a högbudget-tutorial, a way to shed light on how experience points, and unlocks new weapons (which of course is also used in multiplayer) is working. But single player is more than just a textbook, in the background is a story to discover and value of the solo playing is more than just teaching the game mechanics.

Barbecue at the neighbor on the hill. Bring your own catapult.

Multiplayer, however, the game's main component, and it inclines to any form of class and levlingssystem, such as thin armor that could eventually be replaced with more resistant.

- Focus is on collaboration, explains Martin Wahlund, President of Fatshark. There will be both small and large types, but it is too early to say how many people can participate.

Wearing 35 kg armor beats down like a bomb, awareness of the disadvantages of a strict diet plum.

It is still pretty early in the development process, so that ambiguity is also evident in other areas. We may, for example, no concrete details about the game types, more than that they will be typical. Clear is that Paradox is the publisher, the game developed exclusively for Windows (if other versions are present, they will take). It allows developers to concentrate on making the game as good as possible from the platform conditions, and avoids experimenting with different kinds of control methods and other things that can cause trouble. Or with Martins words you do not have to compromise.

As a small studio lacks Fatshark course resources to make and market the big games that can compete with giants like Call of Duty and Battlefield. But it might as well be an asset as a disadvantage.

War of the Roses is run by the game engine Bitsquid.

- Large companies, EA and Activision, is running with safe bets, says Martin. We have another freedom and can do whatever we want. Prior to Lead and Gold and Red Dead Redemption did not do western games, now everyone wants it. We can not say 'We are too small to make a Modern Warfare ", for us it's about making great games based on our circumstances. You have to find something you are passionate about.

When the War of the Roses is supposed to show up is not yet confirmed at this time, and the same goes for how big it be and what it will cost. We will be back with more information as soon as our siege of Fatshark office delivers results
]

Yep... Just peed in my pants  :P

Offline Chikun

• Cluck cluck cluuuuuck!!
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 06:18:27 PM »
'player progression'? Really really really hope that doesn't mean 'crpg'.

Offline David

• Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
'player progression'? Really really really hope that doesn't mean 'crpg'.
+1, if its turns out to be like crpg I will buy the game then burn it

Offline Chikun

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »
I suppose it could mean better armor after you kill some ppl, like in warband. we'll see

Offline Lord Willy

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 06:31:35 PM »
I dont exclude it will a sort of of crpg looking at the success of it  .

Offline Lord Willy

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PMo8Z19q0Fw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PMo8Z19q0Fw</a>

And lol?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:47:04 PM by Lord Willy »

Offline Alexander

• Banned
  • "Because you're worth it."
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
Meh, I'm doubtful.

Offline Chikun

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
Hmm the reward system sounds like shit and might take out a big part of the competitiveness from the game.

They didn't say anything about leveling (like in cRPG), so I hope this means they won't put it in.

Basically they're saying a lot of nothing

Offline Goat

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »
Showed no gameplay at all, not even pictures  :(

They didn't mention leveling, but instead they call it ranks.

They also mentioned that the more "Dedicated Players" (aka Grinders) will be rewarded - this might mean another cRPG style system, where there is no equel playing field for all players.

No point in sayin yey or nay until there is some gameplay footage\video.
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those that shoot best."

Voltaire

Offline Chikun

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »
Showed no gameplay at all, not even pictures  :(

They didn't mention leveling, but instead they call it ranks.

They also mentioned that the more "Dedicated Players" (aka Grinders) will be rewarded - this might mean another cRPG style system, where there is no equel playing field for all players.

No point in sayin yey or nay until there is some gameplay footage\video.

Dear Gultar,

You say exactly what I wanted to say.

I love you, but still miss your beard  :smh:

Offline Goat

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 06:34:29 PM »
Then check the "Faces" thread you noob!
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those that shoot best."

Voltaire

Offline Meister Eder

• Forum Administrator
  • Vice President
  • Herrschaftszeitn!
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 11:00:22 PM »
Dedicated players can reward themselves by gaining more skill. That's somehow the point of competitive gameplay. But maybe the rewards just consists of some fancy hats or steam achievements. At least I hope so.