Author Topic: Henge Island  (Read 640 times)

Offline jon01

Henge Island
« on: March 25, 2016, 07:56:03 PM »
Hello, I've created quite a simple map. It might be good for your server.

The layout should encourage both teams to head straight towards each other, but there are still multiple pathways, and players who want to disperse a bit beforehand can run to the destroyed houses. There are no extensive building blocks to run around. It should be easier for people to find each other compared to other maps. I've given the destroyed houses five different ways of being entered, and the use of ramps makes it accessible to cavalry.

Feel free to make any edits of your own to the map if you want to use it.

Code: (Scene Code) [Select]
scn_multi_scene_2 multi_scene_2 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x000000014000050000048d22000058340000637a0000399b
 sea_outer_terrain_2

Updated Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?iba400o8l8wl403

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w9wrfgcu8nhlnkc/scn_multi_scene_hengeisland.sco

Overview

Screenshots

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:29:58 PM by jon01 »

Offline OurGloriousLeader

Re: Henge Island
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 10:37:03 AM »
Hi jon

But can we run in circles?

Offline jon01

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 03:56:22 PM »
Hi OGL

You could try to run around the centre ruin, but I think it would be too small for both teams to run around when the server is busy. Something tells me you'd be heading for those destroyed houses.

Offline OurGloriousLeader

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 07:40:53 PM »
Thanks Jon. Seems nice map. Not sure if the water edge is sufficient notice of map edge, a small fence might work better.

Best of luck with the submission :)

Offline Triari

• External Admin
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:18:18 AM »
A clear map border would be helpful I guess. Some fences, fishernets, rocks or trees would probably fit the theme.

The spawns are way too close, people will get shot right at the start or killed by cav if they spawn a few seconds later. This could be very frustrating so moving one of the spawns to the top could help. As both spawn points are in the south, nobody would take the northern ruins simply because it's way too dangerous on such an open map and the chance to reach those locations with all the cav around is not high.

Adding a few more "things" besides trees could also help. It looks like the map favours the team with the stronger cav and especially archers don't have any chance to survive (unless they all camp a single location but that ruins the fun aswell).

Is this higher wall accessible? (There is a ladder up to it on the last screenshot.) Looks like a really good position for archers but might be a bit too overpowered.

Just some thoughts - I haven't seen the map so judging it just by sreenshots isn't 100% accurate.
Otherwise it looks good, keep up the work  :)

Offline jon01

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 12:18:56 AM »
Thank you for your feedback.

A clear map border would be helpful I guess. Some fences, fishernets, rocks or trees would probably fit the theme.

I've added in some visible borders and I think the map looks even better now because of it.

The spawns are way too close, people will get shot right at the start or killed by cav if they spawn a few seconds later.

They're not that close to each other. It takes over 20 seconds to run from one spawn to another. If you tried running straight to the other spawn, you'd very likely be spotted and shot down by members of the other team. Plus, the walls next to each spawn are big enough to protect against arrows shot from the other side.

Players who spawn late will have slopes, trees and a nearby wall to work with against cavalry, which is more than you get on most other maps. Plus, since players are likely to meet in the centre to fight (rather than circle around to the other side of the map as usual) it would be a lot easier for people to catch up with their teammates if they do spawn late.

Adding a few more "things" besides trees could also help. It looks like the map favours the team with the stronger cav and especially archers don't have any chance to survive

I've added some fallen trees and rocks next to the walls at the centre, which should make passage towards the northern ruins easier. It should also help the archers to be able to take down the cavalry that roam around the outer parts of the map.

Is this higher wall accessible? (There is a ladder up to it on the last screenshot.) Looks like a really good position for archers but might be a bit too overpowered.

The higher wall isn't accessible. The ladders up there are just for decoration.

Updated Download: https://www.mediafire.com/?iba400o8l8wl403