Author Topic: You Need to do Something About the Running in Circles  (Read 4898 times)

Offline AZAN

Re: You Need to do Something About the Running in Circles
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »
I don't agree, it's human nature to go get stuff for free, even if there's potentially more rewarding activities elsewhere. It would only be there to sweeten the pot anyway and provide a reason other than winning the round to be on the flag, people often don't care about the team win.

If there was a score column on the scoreboard and you got points for capping, people would be all over it as well.

Offline Oliveran

• Class: Infantry
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2016, 01:36:06 PM »
Afaik we need people to use mods to edit the scoreboard - sadly we can't put in assists unless people used specific modules for IG_Battlegrounds, so hard to show things like 'Flagtime X seconds', and by the same logic we can't add something called 'Total score' either :( I'm not sure how to do this unless we add a module for it.

Please teach me how to block :c

Offline AZAN

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2016, 09:25:33 AM »
Afaik we need people to use mods to edit the scoreboard - sadly we can't put in assists unless people used specific modules for IG_Battlegrounds, so hard to show things like 'Flagtime X seconds', and by the same logic we can't add something called 'Total score' either :( I'm not sure how to do this unless we add a module for it.

You don't actually, its not a quick or easy job but its possible to remake battle mode using the conquest gametype. It can be functionally identical and let you use score that way. The only difference would be that IG shows up as a conquest server not a battle one.

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2016, 12:15:53 PM »
Lol this make no sense when it's the end of Warband actually. 2late Azan.

Offline Trebron

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
I don't agree, it's human nature to go get stuff for free, even if there's potentially more rewarding activities elsewhere.
Do you really think people play for gold on IG? They'll go to hold the flag for some gold instead of getting kills? Really?
No, they won't. Gold is no reward, gold is just the thing that MIGHT make gettings kills easier when u buy armor or wapons. Almost everyone's playing for kills so unless admins find some way to implement scoreboard score for assists/raising the flag/etc nothing is going to change. Nobody cares about team wins.

Offline ImB_Smiley

• Class: Ranger
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
or just remove scoreboard...

Offline OurGloriousLeader

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2016, 06:58:09 PM »
pls stop this naysaying try the flag idea, if it is even moderately successful we can look at greater changes like gold rewards or scoreboard amendments. And is not end of Warband, Bannerlord not out for real until end of the year most likely. We can improve the LIVES OF IG-ERS until then.

Ryozu, I don't think the siege comparison is accurate because in Battle there is just one life, people can't hide in obscure corners camping because the majority of the team will be fighting over the objective location, leaving archers isolated either outnumbered and killed by roaming cav, or useless as their out of the fight and their team has lost. Experienced players will adapt quickly to this change whilst newer players will eventually get it.

Motivation wise, people like to get kills and win rounds. Quick flag spawns are a great fight-forcer. LET'S DO IT
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 08:01:33 PM by SCGavin »

Offline Bojar

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2016, 08:51:57 PM »
New maps are quite good. Cause in most cases there is fast clash and fight. The problem of running in circles is only "spotted" on reveran and castellum mostly because cav is very strong on this maps, and it is the main reason why infantry is sticking in groups.

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2016, 01:09:34 PM »
Maps with circling:

Reveran, Castellum, Sandi, Naval, Fort of Honour, Mountain Fortress, That One Mitchell Made With the big Ladder and Staircase In the Middle

Maps occasionally without circling:

Nordtown and Verloren...until one team loses the middle fight then they run away and circle the next round.

Offline Oliveran

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
Oh yes, all maps are bad and we should remove them all! Let's also stop playing the game... Oh wait :bag:

I think Mountain plays out beautifully, rarely (if ever) see a full circle on that map before I get quite a bit of fighting going on. Dunno about Fort of Honour, I tend to get a lot of fighting before I get even one circle there too.

Reveran would be nice to see changed up a little, though. Z:)

Please teach me how to block :c

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2016, 03:01:42 PM »
When did I say all maps are bad? It's nothing to do with the maps, it's player motivations. I wish I'd made 2-3 posts previously explaining what we should do!

Offline AZAN

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »
Both mountain fortress and fort of honour see the same effect. On the former the defending team runs towards platform and the attackers towards the fence area over the bridge. On the latter both teams just hug their left flanks and run round in a big circle. At best because there are more central crossing points on those maps it becomes more confused earlier.

Give people a reason to hold ground or fight opponents aggressively, whether its for personal gain or team win and they will do it. There are numerous ways you could try to fix the issue but total inaction isn't one of them.

Also as for it being 'too late' to fix it, we have no idea what the Bannerlord battle mode will be like. For all we know it may suffer the same issues on public if the developers haven't felt they needed addressing. Trying to motivate people into playing in a way that isn't garbage for every class except cav isn't a bad intention and even if it was only for the half or year or more until Bannerlord arrives it would probably be worth it.

Offline Kiano

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 10:59:19 PM »
Even if there is potentially little time left until Bannerlord, it could still be worth testing out a few different methods to try to create more open play. At worst they won't work and we revert back to the way it's always been. At best they increase the satisfaction of playing on BG, and potentially save us time from trying to figure out a way to fix circling if it is still an issue in Bannerlord.

If it is still an issue in Bannerlord, it will be far harder to try and fix it there, than doing it now, when it's practically the same players on our server all the time, and who will be able to give us feedback.
They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace

Padraig Pearse - 1st August 1915

Offline Anchor

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2016, 06:35:40 PM »
I do think it's a little ironic that Azan is complaining about the gameplay on IG, considering that AE are one of several clans that constantly stack one team, which typically leads to 5:0 scores until some of the members leave the server.

A bigger problem is ranger players stacking whichever team has the best ranged class (usually Vaegir and Swadia)

Offline Kiano

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »
What Azan is talking about and what the topic of this thread is about, has very little to do with what you just said.

Players choosing one team over another, is hardly a factor we can control anyway.
They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace

Padraig Pearse - 1st August 1915