Author Topic: R:TW Installing Issue  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Urgnot

• I'll be your huckleberry.
  • Class: Infantry
R:TW Installing Issue
« on: September 12, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »
Seeing the Total War thread gave me a nostalgic feeling to play R:TW again, however I keep getting an error on one of my disks, they're the original release ones so I have 3 of them, and yeah the thirds a bit meffed. I've tried everything but it simply won't work, however I do have a plan to make it work. The error:

"Error1305.Error reading from C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\sounds\SFX.dat Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

Spoiler

If someone has the sound file installed on their pc that works, if you could please send me a PM with your email address and I will pm you mine back, then if you can send me the file copied over in an attachment, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Knight Urgnot
  • 51st_Sgt_Urgnot
  • Urgnot Urgnot

Offline Deathstar

• Art is what you make of it.
Re: R:TW Installing Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 06:26:37 PM »
That's a very common error actually, the most common cause for it is a dirty or damaged medium. Check your CD/DVD for scratches, fingerprints or whatever may have found its way on there and clean it with a soft cloth (cotton). Maybe try a wet one if it still won't work...
Just remember rubbing from the middle outward. If it's a deep scratch some people advice using toothpaste. Google that. :D

COULD also be your disc drive but that's unlikely, I presume you can run every other medium smoothly.
Quote from: Overlord
22:26:35 - *DEAD* [CoR_Overlord_Overlord] Phew, you should be called "chef" Sophie. Nice cooking of attacks there.

Offline Urgnot

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 06:35:25 PM »
That's a very common error actually, the most common cause for it is a dirty or damaged medium. Check your CD/DVD for scratches, fingerprints or whatever may have found its way on there and clean it with a soft cloth (cotton). Maybe try a wet one if it still won't work...
Just remember rubbing from the middle outward. If it's a deep scratch some people advice using toothpaste. Google that. :D

COULD also be your disc drive but that's unlikely, I presume you can run every other medium smoothly.

Aye, I've been reading on a few TW forums about the error, trying to see what I can do. If during the installation, I place the sound folder in the TW installer will simply skip installing that folder as it's already there and move on. As I said, the third disk(which is the problem disk) is a bit meffed, I've had these for quite some time and they've been through about 5 installs on different pc's xD. I've tried cleaning them with a cloth to the shinniest I can get it, but after 4 installation tries it still comes up with the error.
  • 51st_Sgt_Urgnot
  • Urgnot Urgnot

Offline Lord Willy

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 06:56:39 PM »

Aye, I've been reading on a few TW forums about the error, trying to see what I can do. If during the installation, I place the sound folder in the TW installer will simply skip installing that folder as it's already there and move on. As I said, the third disk(which is the problem disk) is a bit meffed, I've had these for quite some time and they've been through about 5 installs on different pc's xD. I've tried cleaning them with a cloth to the shinniest I can get it, but after 4 installation tries it still comes up with the error.
I  had your same problem with the 2 precedent RTW copy that i had, the problem infact is that they are higly damageable. You cant do anything with that copy .. I suggest u to buy another copy for example here http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/rome-total-war/8571802.html. aAnd dont forget to play rome with mods b Like EB I because its really another game with it.

Offline Deathstar

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »
If you really want to play Rome without ever having to worry about any of these issues you could also think about buying a digital copy from Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/4760/

That's around 13 for the gold version, the one including both expansion packs. I did the same with TES IV: Oblivion, bought the GOTY version for 5 bucks just to have it in my Steam folder, available whenever I want it to be.
22:26:35 - *DEAD* [CoR_Overlord_Overlord] Phew, you should be called "chef" Sophie. Nice cooking of attacks there.

Offline Lord Willy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 07:13:14 PM »
If you really want to play Rome without ever having to worry about any of these issues you could also think about buying a digital copy from Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/4760/

That's around 13 for the gold version, the one including both expansion packs. I did the same with TES IV: Oblivion, bought the GOTY version for 5 bucks just to have it in my Steam folder, available whenever I want it to be.
Thats true but like this then u cant play Mods!  :o

Offline Deathstar

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 07:18:46 PM »

No reason why mods would not be supported. Only a few games won't allow mods and then it's usually a problem that has to do with the game's version (sometimes Steam did not patch older games to the most current version). For most games though only one thing is different: The installation folder, Steam games install in the program's subfolder "steamapps".

Offline Brego

• God wills it!
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 09:08:19 PM »
But, his cd still works for playing the game, but not for installing. So if I then upload my whole R:TW folder, will he then be able to play it? :P

Offline Urgnot

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 09:23:02 PM »
I'm not going to pay 10 for just one file  :P

It's only my 3rd disk that has a problem, the other two are fine.
  • 51st_Sgt_Urgnot
  • Urgnot Urgnot

Offline Lord Willy

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »

No reason why mods would not be supported. Only a few games won't allow mods and then it's usually a problem that has to do with the game's version (sometimes Steam did not patch older games to the most current version). For most games though only one thing is different: The installation folder, Steam games install in the program's subfolder "steamapps".
I Know many people With installing mods on steam some mods are ok but most of the pothers no.

Offline Urgnot

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »
Got it all fixed. :)
  • 51st_Sgt_Urgnot
  • Urgnot Urgnot