Author Topic: 'Where you got your nickname from?'  (Read 19527 times)

Offline Chikun

• Cluck cluck cluuuuuck!!
  • Class: Ranger
'Where you got your nickname from?'
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:25:51 PM »
Ok, so I was bored enough to look through the forum of the old IG site and came upon a topic very similar to this one. I think it is always very interesting where people get their nicknames from, as in most cases there is an interesting/funny story behind it and the nickname tells us something about the person behind it.

I will start then: As I like to read I often use names of characters out of my favorite books. In warband you will see me on alts like Whiskeyjack, Bottle, Mok, etc , these are all characters in a series of books called Malazan book of the Fallen.
My main name Morii however has a different origin, namely the game Shogun Total War, where the Mori (officially it would be Mouri) clan is fighting versus other clans to take over Japan in the Sengoku Jidai (period). The Mori clan was one of the harder clans to play with, but nonetheless my favorite as they were bald and could buy fighting monks cheaper than anyone else 8)
I have played with this name in many other games as well and I'm not sure when and why I added another 'i'. I've had an interest in Japanese culture and history since I don't even know when, and I'm studying the language and culture at the University of Leiden, so it's not that odd that my in-game nickname has a Japanese origin.

Please tell your nickname stories here noble guardians!

Offline Lugh

• Class: Infantry
Re: 'Where you got your nickname from?'
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:30:47 AM »
Copypaste from the old forums.

Quote from: Lugh
Originally I was called Larkraxm (an anagram of one of my favoured philosophers) but changed my name half way through beta. Larkraxm seemed a bit of a harsh name to pronounce and I felt a character name with a mythological root would be more apt than one named after a 19th century revolutionary.

As I'm rather fond of both Norse and Celtic mythology, especially the tales of the Tuatha d Dannan, I decided to settle with Lugh, or Llew in my native tongue.

If you're interested, you can read more about Lugh here. Although the wikipedia page is a right mish-mash of different stories and can be quite confusing.

Offline Chikun

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
Ah yeh Karl Marx? He was an interesting fella.

Offline Zoltanus

• The Valiant purges the evil!
  • Class: Cavalry
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:16:23 PM »
In might and magic VII when you begin a new game there is a goblin named Zoltan in the default party. Somehow that goblin, became a sacred character for me and whenever I started a new game (which I did a lot, because It was too hard for me at beginning) I had to include Zoltan as a knight (has been paladin a couple of times). I have originally used nick OLIO[insert number], but it didn't feel so good so I replaced it with Zoltan's altered name. I used Zoltan for some time, but it somehow felt lacking so I added us in the end and so it became Zoltanus.

Damn I have to begin a new game in mm7  :-X.

"Cutlass": i hope to be pissed titfaced or wankerd

Offline Illuminati

• Vision is the art of seeing things invisible.
  • Class: Cavalry
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »
Illuminati =Illuminati :) ...well, I always loved this name and the meaning behind it.

I have an interest in subjects of an esoteric nature, and I find it interesting to look in to the universe of teachings and influences from different cultures that are scatteed around this little world of ours.

I even have some antique books, one dating back to 1846 or so (I need to check) which was written as a spiritual journey by a student of 'The Illuminati'.
Considering the order was founded around 1776, that makes this book very interesting.
People later criticized this student, stating that he was borrowing teachings from here and there ...but those critics missed the point behind the meaning in the name, since he was simply one who travelled around the world, seeking 'illumination' :)

One of my favourite books is one written by a mysterious person who simply went by the name of 'M' (no, not the M in IG :P) and I actually have the first edition of this one.
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. -Epicurus

Offline Beardface

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
Sigh seems our M is just trying to sound mysterious again :P.

Offline Deathstar

• Art is what you make of it.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
Sigh seems our M is just trying to sound mysterious again :P.

M comes from his name, iirc.

e.: On-Topic -

"deathstar" obviously was inspired by the Star Wars saga, I used it for everything since 1999. "Sophie"? I'm absolutely in love with the name itself, so I added a tiny little bit of roleplay to Warband. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:24:48 PM by Deathstar »
Quote from: Overlord
22:26:35 - *DEAD* [CoR_Overlord_Overlord] Phew, you should be called "chef" Sophie. Nice cooking of attacks there.

Offline Beardface

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:17:27 PM »
Pretty much, and i guess Mark didn't sound medieval enough.

Mine pretty much evolved from a series of nicknames.

Incarius ---> Incaz ---> Zanic ----> Zan

Incarius being a slight moderation on (lots of names incomming :P) :

Icarius was the son of Oebalus and Gorgophone and, through Periboea, father of Penelope, Perileos and Iphthime. According to other traditions, he was the father of Penelope, Alyzeus and Leucadius by Polycaste. He was a Spartan king and a champion runner who would not allow anyone to marry his daughter unless he beat him in a race. Odysseus succeeded. He was the brother of Hippocoon and Tyndareus. He was apparently still alive at the time of the events of the Odyssey.

Offline Meister Eder

• Forum Administrator
  • Vice President
  • Herrschaftszeitn!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 12:45:29 PM »
Meister Eder and his Pumuckl is a German TV series  I used to watch when I was a kid. It's about the master joiner Franz Eder, who has a kobold (Pumuckl) in his factory. Pumuckl is invisible and he plays many tricks on Eder by hiding his tools and stuff like that. But one day, Pumuckl gets stuck on some glue and thereby becomes visible to Eder.
Meister Eder frees him and from then on Pumuckl has to stay with him (it's a kobold thing, he wasn't forced by Eder  ;) ). Pumuckl lives in Eders factory and they become friends and experience many "adventures".
When I was playing Splinter Cell online, I called myself Pumuckl as the game is about being invisible and tricking your opponent.
After I joined the Warband beta, I thought that Meister Eder sounds more medieval, so I took that name. Nevertheless, I also created a Pumuckl, later.

Offline Chikun

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:01:49 PM »
I used to visit german relatives like 4 times a year when I was a kid and I think I've actually seen that show :o.  Alas my memory doesn't go further than 'looks very familiar' atm.

Offline TheBard

• Clan Drunkard
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 01:44:10 PM »
*semi copy paste from the old thread*

I chose TheBard because I played the game The Bard's Tale (the newer one, not the old ones) and I liked it. No, loved it.
It's just funny to play and listen The Bard's sarkasm!

I had to rename into Bardus to join the 13th Legion, it's the latin version of my old name.
  • TheBard
  • TheBard TheBard
Quote from: TheBard
Quote from: Folms.
I swear he is only 18?  O_o
Drinking beer and wine is legal in Germany by the age of 16.
Drinking liquor is legal by the age of 18, same goes for tobacco products. Cigarettes used to be legal by the age of 16.
I've got no words to describe this moment  :o
bard: so sick of it. I'll kill my sister at some point.
[IG] Kekn: you love her still
[IG] Kekn: how cute
bard: if any guy would do harm to my sister
bard: I'll make him pay and beat the shit out of him.

Offline Lugh

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
Why is your name "TheTurd" on my screen? Is there a story behind that?

Offline Lord Willy

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »
Well my true  name is Guglielmo , and stated that all non italian people have  big difficulties on pronounce it , since i was 8 i always said to non italian people that my name was William(Guglielmo it comes from william Wilhelm-William -Willhelmo-Guillelmo-Guglielmo etc etc : p ) and so many people started to call me Willy .This is why my name is Lord Willy  : ) .

Offline Fiddler

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »
I will start then: As I like to read I often use names of characters out of my favorite books. In warband you will see me on alts like Whiskeyjack, Bottle, Mok, etc , these are all characters in a series of books called Malazan book of the Fallen.

From where Fiddler also happens to be.
  • Fiddler
  • SootShade SootShade

Offline Decadence

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
Well my true  name is Guglielmo , and stated that all non italian people have  big difficulties on pronounce it , since i was 8 i always said to non italian people that my name was William(Guglielmo it comes from william Wilhelm-William -Willhelmo-Guillelmo-Guglielmo etc etc : p ) and so many people started to call me Willy .This is why my name is Lord Willy  : ) .

I like your real name Guglielmo, its different and you should teach people pronouce it, because its very nice ( im portuguese and can pronouce it well, i understand some italian words because its similar as portuguese, not all words its true ).