Author Topic: What books are you reading?  (Read 24446 times)

Offline M

• Class: None
Re: What books are you reading?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 09:40:32 PM »
I read a few of those thursday next books panda, pretty fun stuff.

Offline Pandafaust

• Class: Ranger
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
Aye, although my personal view is that his Nursery Crimes series is better - and it does of course feature that towering colossus Chief Inspector Jack Spratt!

Shades of grey is just a completely different style of book altogether, it's also the first book I've known to have trailers (but maybe that's just me being out of touch with modern literature).
  • Pandafauste

Offline SCGavin

• Forum Administrator
  • President
  • If you want a decision, go to the point of danger
  • Class: Infantry
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 10:55:14 PM »
Shades of grey is just a completely different style of book altogether, it's also the first book I've known to have trailers (but maybe that's just me being out of touch with modern literature).

There are a quite some such trailers out there.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vuDZFAyOR0M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vuDZFAyOR0M</a>
To protect the spacehands and officers of the Imperial Navy, the Emperor Gavin is equipped with 5 Turret Sandcasters, an efficient 9MW Meson Screen, 600 sensor decoys, and a hull over 5.3 centimeters thick of proven Bonded Superdense Armor.

Offline Razer

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »
I'm reading "The Brotherhood of the Holy Grail"
It's a very good book which is based on fantasy and the crusaders of Jerusalem.

Offline Deathstar

• Art is what you make of it.
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »
I just read "Metro 2033" by Dmitry Glukhovsky. I played the game based on that book before and thought it might be nice - oh boy it was. Can't wait for the sequel now.

I also picked up "Guild Wars: The Ghosts of Ascalon" by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb, which is the first of three novels filling the time between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, giving reference to various things that happened and foreshadowing some events for the second game.
Quote from: Overlord
22:26:35 - *DEAD* [CoR_Overlord_Overlord] Phew, you should be called "chef" Sophie. Nice cooking of attacks there.

Offline Lugh

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 02:14:57 PM »
Im at book 5, The Fires of Heaven, at the moment and i have to say, i greatly enjoy reading it!
Problem is, i dont know how many books there are exactly =/
The thing is, im reading it in english and there seem to be 13/14 books at the moment, while the german ones are at 33/34 ^^
Wow, that's a pretty expensive series it's been translated into!

There should be 13 books when it's finished. If you include the New Spring prequel, 14. Although there were supposed to be three prequels, I doubt enough materials were left to finish them.

Nontheless i really like it and i sooo hope that it doesnt screw up in the middle like the Sword of the Seeker-series

Was that the series written by Terry Goodkind? I got as far as Naked Empire and then stopped reading.

Offline Valdarr

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 03:19:35 PM »
Book 6 is the one i couldnt resist to buy when i got through 5  :-[

The one from Terry Goodkind i stopped at the german book 6, "The Faith of the Fallen", because its just the author trying really hard to drag this series onwards and i really hate that. Maybe i will buy the next books sometimes in the future to see how it is going to end, but i doubt i will do that sometimes soon ^^

Dont know if they even got translated into english, but i began reading bigger series when i stumbled over "The Secrets of Askir" (translated the german name, so it could be some differend name) from Richard Schwartz. In my opinion they were really interestind to read and so i got over my hate for longer series and tryed out some more.

Next one i will begin will most likely be "A song of fire and ice" or something like that. Read the first book of that years ago and now im itching to see what happens in the whole series.
I really wish i werent such a poor little student but more of a milionaire, i woulld buy a whole mansion and get every book i have even a slight interest in xD

Edit: I really hope that there is enough material left to at least finish it like Robert Jordan wanted it to end. I would go crazy when i dont know what happens in Tarmon Gai`don =O
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:22:43 PM by Valdarr »

Offline Chikun

• Cluck cluck cluuuuuck!!
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
All of you go read Malazan Book of the Fallen-series, you won't regret it, I pwomise!

Offline Lua

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 05:20:32 PM »
Re-reading "Un día de cólera" by Arturo Pérez-Reverte, about the uprising of the 2nd of May in Madrid against the french ocupation troops.

Offline Decadence

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 10:14:35 PM »
Some suggestions to read guys, books that i read already,

- "One Hundred Years of Solitude", by Gabriel García Márquez;
- "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" by Gabriel García Márquez.
- "Artificial Paradises", by Charles Baudelaire.

I wish a good reading to all of you!

Offline M

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2010, 02:48:54 PM »
One of my favourites. haven't read the other by him you mentioned though :{

Offline Kalient

• Class: Cavalry
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2010, 05:54:52 PM »
Just started reading On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. Time to see what all the hype is about...

Offline evacuee

• Juha's blog
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 06:17:57 PM »
Just started reading On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. Time to see what all the hype is about...
Pretty outdated, afaik..
  • IG_Mgt_evacuee
  • evacuee evacuee

Offline Decadence

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 02:01:34 AM »
One of my favourites. haven't read the other by him you mentioned though :{

Great taste you have, M... then yo should read the other ones i recommended too, not just the other one from Gabriel García Márquez, you will like it for sure.
Good reading!

Offline Miwiw

• Big bearded Hodor-like
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 10:24:33 AM »
All books of Ken Follet, Noah Gordon, Wilbur Smith and alot of other Writers whose stories play in the past (prefered egyptian history, middle age and 1700's, 1800's centuries).

I prefer Wilbur Smith and I love his books about the egyptian story (eg. Warlock) and the Courtney family (eg. Monsoon).