Author Topic: Pets of Istiniar!  (Read 8747 times)

Offline Lugh

• Class: Infantry
Pets of Istiniar!
« on: January 25, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »
After a TS conversation about cats (and how distracting they can be!), I've been meaning to open this thread for a few weeks. It seems a lot of us in IG keep pets, so it would be nice to share some pictures or stories of them.

I live with three cats: Elvis, Molly and Schnitzel.

Elvis has been with us since 2009. We found him as a stray kitten when living in Manchester (pre-warband) and decided to take him in - well he kinda chose to live at our house. Shortly after we left Manchester, we adopted a girl from the RSPCA called Lilley. Her and Elvis became a little troublesome duo, always following one another around, cuddling up and playing together. When she died in late July 2010 it was a pretty horrible experience. It was made even worse when Elvis started meowing around the house and searching for her in her usual sleeping spots. Was terrible watching that.

After a while we decided to adopt another cat to keep Elvis company. Molly joined us in September 2010, again adopted from the RSPCA. She's a bit of a mardy cat and doesn't seem to like anything that has four legs but loves humans. She was shortly followed by Schnitzel, who treats Elvis as his big playful brother.

A few pictures:
Lilley

Almost forgot how tiny she was. She might look like a kitten but she was an adult cat. For the first six months of her life (Before she went to the RSPCA) she was fed nothing but rice crispies and milk by her previous owners. Sickening. This picture was taken at our old place. She used to sit on top of the bookcase by the window and keep me company while I played warband. Never got the chance to explore outdoors as we lived too near to a busy road
Elvis & Schnitz

Cuddling on top of the laundry pile!
Elvis...
... with a bag of prawns on his head.

He's mental for prawns, we give them to him as a treat.

Explanation for the above picture:

I left a bag of prawns on the kitchen surface when I went to open the front door for my girlfriend. When we both arrived in the kitchen we found Elvis with his head in the bag of prawns, desperately trying to eat the few remaining prawns at the bottom of the bag. I laughed so much. Camera was nearby so I didn't feel bad about taking the picture :P

Another funny prawn related story.
About 8 months ago, in our old house, Elvis managed to open the door to our freezer (insane!) and knock his bag of prawns on to the floor. He then chewed through the plastic bag (he didn't eat the bag, fortunately) and ate the prawns, we presume, by himself. This happened when we (gf and I) were both at work. Since then, we stopped keeping the prawns at the front of the freezer.
Molly & Schnitz

Molly usually hisses at the other two. Fortunately she was nice for this picture. Taken just after we moved into our new place.

Hope to read about/see any pets you might keep!

Offline Chikun

• Cluck cluck cluuuuuck!!
  • Class: Ranger
Re: Pets of Istiniar!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
I'd like to introduce you to my pet. I got her about two years and a couple of months ago and I'm happy with my purchase. She can be a bit annoying when I'm playing warband or other games, but sometimes she can be a very nice distraction as well. Her name is Amber, as it is the name she was given by her previous owners (she sometimes fondly refers to them as her 'parents').
Spoiler
I feed her ricecrispies and milk every day as well, yet sofar she doesn't seem to mind.

Offline DrDruGs

• Error! This message could not be read.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 02:05:27 PM »
I'd like to introduce you to my pet. I got her about two years and a couple of months ago and I'm happy with my purchase. She can be a bit annoying when I'm playing warband or other games, but sometimes she can be a very nice distraction as well. Her name is Amber, as it is the name she was given by her previous owners (she sometimes fondly refers to them as her 'parents').
Spoiler
I feed her ricecrispies and milk every day as well, yet sofar she doesn't seem to mind.

haha ^^ brilliant xP
Error! Could read this not be message.

Offline Lord Willy

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »
lol :P

Offline Miwiw

• Big bearded Hodor-like
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »
I cant find old pics of my rabbits and my budgies who died some years ago... :/

Offline M

• Class: None
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 02:15:41 PM »
The only picture I have to hand:

The white one was called Tresco and he died last summer, the brown one is called Boggy B (I know. my brother named him :P). He still acts like a puppy despite being pretty elderly. Cool as fuck dogs.

Offline Beardface

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »
Spoiler

... So thats where she ran off to!  :o all those posters of ''Missing'' we posted around but no luck : <

Offline Deathstar

• Art is what you make of it.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »
I'll use this to commemorate some animals I grew up with.

In 1996 my mother made little-me very happy by telling me we would get a dog. My parents had a dog before but I did not really know him - he died when I was 4 years old. This new one though I remember very well, even though I was merely six years old when he joined us. In that year, on a small farmhold, not far from our city, a small pack of Jack Russel Terriers was born. The black and white kind with brown highlights on the face. My mother took me with her to check them out and pick one, however, the dog took us when he bit my sleeve and wouldn't let loose - in a very gentle manner though, t'was a puppy after all. For some reason, I just had to want that one.

Me dear mom was not exactly being creative giving him the name "Jack" but I don't blame her. What I do blame her for is the complete lack of any pictures of our dogs while they were younger.
Jack was an extremely gentle and loving dog, pretty heavy-built for a terrier and a little bit slow, but all of this made us adore him so very much. His doctor called him a "character-dog".

Spoiler

Two years later, we felt like he might need some company, that was when, in 1998, we decided to get a female Jack Russel as well. Got that one from a breeder in town, probably some greyhound genes in there judging from her form.

Her name was Daisy and when I asked my mother she'd say she named her after Daisy Duck for whatever reason.

Daisy slowly began to establish a firm dominance over poor ol'Jack and he'd rather be submissive than to fight her.

Spoiler

They both were fantastic dogs and it struck me like lightning when they passed away in 2005. Jack left us first, we had the veterinarian euthanise him because he had severe problems with his heart and would not have lived much longer, though that little bit would have been in much pain for him. Not even a month later, Daisy, who was 2 years younger, followed him. We noticed her becoming very quiet and passive when Jack died and the vet said she "probably lost her will to live".
I miss them both very much.

Spoiler

We also had a cat who died last year, after two years of being an "old woman". Oddly enough, her name was "Baby". She was older than the dogs and outlived them in the end.

Spoiler

My mother and my stepfather did not want to get "new" dogs, as in get puppies. However, my mother did not like the house without any animals around, which is why she adopted two dogs from the eastern European countries who both were to be cremated over there because the animals shelters on those lands only take so many animals before simply killing off the rest and all the stray cats and dogs.

The new dogs are character-wise surprisingly similar to Jack and Daisy, both hybrids with Jack Russel genes mixed into them, the male completely black (named Charles) and the female completely white (Blanca).
Both show signs of abuse (he is very coy when meeting strangers and she has a limp) but are noticably very, very thankful for finally being with people who love them.
Quote from: Overlord
22:26:35 - *DEAD* [CoR_Overlord_Overlord] Phew, you should be called "chef" Sophie. Nice cooking of attacks there.

Offline Manerick

• I came, I saw, I conquered - Manerick
  • Class: Cavalry
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
(Lugh) did your cats grow up together, since they are laying almost on each other. I find it very facinating, because if my cat Baku, gets close to my other cat (Basse) while he's is relaxing, he will beat Baku and sometimes he finish him by laying on him (he weights 9 kilos) while Baku only have a weight of 6.5 kilo   :-X So im just wondering how they can be so close?:D

Offline Chikun

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »
(Lugh) did your cats grow up together, since they are laying almost on each other. I find it very facinating, because if my cat Baku, gets close to my other cat (Basse) while he's is relaxing, he will beat Baku and sometimes he finish him by laying on him (he weights 9 kilos) while Baku only have a weight of 6.5 kilo   :-X So im just wondering how they can be so close?:D

That's not a cat, thats a small tiger!:O

Offline Miwiw

• Big bearded Hodor-like
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
Like this: ?

Offline Lugh

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »

Jeez 9kg? That's a pretty beasty cat you have:D Is it a Bengal or something? I know they grow to a hefty size.

re: the closeness. Elvis (black/white)is a really friendly cat, always seems to want to befriend other cats. Schnitz(ginger) we got a few months ago as a kitten, so he has a nice bond with Elvis.

Our other cat, Molly, usually growls or hisses if one of them gets too close to her.

Guess it's just a personality thing. Some cats are friendly, some aren't :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:54:29 PM by Lugh »

Offline Urgnot

• I'll be your huckleberry.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
I have a cat called Minky, we got her from a pet adoption place. Minky had been adopted once before, but the very next day had been taken back by the person, 'as she was too shy', of course the cat is going to be shy you just took her in a cage to a new inviroment. I'd be shitting one too.

Anyhow, Minky was indeed shy at first, huddling to corners and hiding places , but soon she came round , within a day or two, she was settled. Shes a long haired Persian. We named her Minky, well , because shes a 'mink'y colour.  :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Also,     

Amber
Spoiler

Cylon Model #8/Sharon/Boomer
Spoiler
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:43:42 PM by Urgnot »
  • 51st_Sgt_Urgnot
  • Urgnot Urgnot

Offline Alexander

• Banned
  • "Because you're worth it."
  • Class: None
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 06:45:59 PM »
Also,     

Amber
Spoiler

Cylon Model #8/Sharon/Boomer
Spoiler

The future of the Twelve Colonies is at risk!

Offline Chikun

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »
Aww damnit, Urgy, that was supposed to stay a secret! :-X