Author Topic: I would like to continue to use my name. (Help)  (Read 1430 times)

Offline LethalTwat

I would like to continue to use my name. (Help)
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:48:48 PM »
As long as i can remember i have used the name LethalTwat. I don't mean offense to anybody but up until this point no one has ever been offended. Only a single admin or 'duke' (IG_duke_Oliveran) is offended by the word twat. The meaning of twat is an unintelligent person, a dumb person or simply a lazy person as where i am from which is the UK. This name in my mind isn't offensive enough to be dealt with banning someone as it doesn't insult a race or gender. I would like to further discuss this issue as i would like to continue to freely use this name on your mount and blade Warband server.   :) ty (i'm a fan of your server)

Offline LethalTwat

Re: I would like to continue to use my name. (Help)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »
I would also like to mention i would not like to change it as another reason is that people know me as that name and i started with it from the beginning of my steam account to when i started playing mount and blade

Offline Kiano

• Forum Moderator
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:09:44 PM »
While twat has come to mean an unintelligent person, it could still be found insulting, as it is also slang for vagina.

I myself noted the name and, being from Ireland, assumed it was meant in the way you described. However, it certainly can be thought to be insulting.
They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace

Padraig Pearse - 1st August 1915

Offline LethalTwat

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 04:03:35 PM »
While twat has come to mean an unintelligent person, it could still be found insulting, as it is also slang for vagina.

I myself noted the name and, being from Ireland, assumed it was meant in the way you described. However, it certainly can be thought to be insulting.

Slang doesn't represent a words real meaning and shouldn't be confused with the words context it is used in... pretty sure no one is going to assume it means "vagina" they will simply just assume it means a person as that is how it is commonly used. Also that is just like saying that Lethal'Knob' is offensive as knob can commonly be known as a mans genitals as whilst i meant door knob (door handle)  :))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:08:29 PM by LethalTwat »

Offline Kiano

• Forum Moderator
  • Class: Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
There's no context given when someone sees LethalTwat in a game. Slang still represents a meaning of the word. I wouldn't be so presumptuous about how people will view your name. If there is more than one meaning or connotation for a word, you can't decide how people will interpret it.

At the end of the day, you have been told to change your name by our admins. Though we understand you wanting to keep your name, our decision won't change. We ask you to change your name to something more suitable for our server.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:15:29 PM by Kiano »
They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace

Padraig Pearse - 1st August 1915

Offline crazyboy11

• Forum Moderator
  • Class: None
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »
Slang just means the word is used informally and isn't the official term for what is being described. It doesn't change the meaning of the slang word in any way or make it's use any more acceptable. As for how many people know the meaning; both meanings are in the dictionary.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/twat